Description of the critical update for Windows Firewall "My Network (subnet) only" scoping in Windows XP Service Pack 2
Note Windows Firewall automatically selects the My network (subnet) only scope option when you create an exception for File and Printer Sharing.
Download informationTo resolve this problem, you must download and install critical update 886185. You can download and install critical update 886185 by using the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Download Center.
Windows UpdateTo download and install critical update 886185 by using the Windows Update Web site, follow these steps:
- Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- On the Tools menu, click Windows Update.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to update your computer.
Microsoft Download CenterThe following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the critical update 886185 package now.
Release Date: December 14, 2004
For additional information about how to download Microsoft Support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
PrerequisitesYou must be running one of the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition with Windows XP Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
To install critical update 886185 without any user intervention, use the following command:
To install this critical update without forcing the computer to restart, use the following command:
Removal informationTo remove this critical update, use the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel.
System administrators can use the Spuninst.exe utility to remove this critical update. Spuninst.exe is located in the %windir%\$NTUninstallKB886185$\Spuninst folder. The utility supports the following Setup switches:
- /? : Show the list of installation switches.
- /u : Use Unattended mode.
- /f : Force other programs to quit when the computer shuts down.
- /z : Do not restart when the installation is completed.
- /q : Use Quiet mode (no user interaction).
Restart requirementYou may have to restart your computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement informationThis update does not replace any other updates.
File informationThe English version of this update has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Some dial-up software configures the routing tables in a way that leads the Windows Firewall to determine that the whole dial-up connection is on the local subnet. After you install critical update 886185, Windows Firewall will no longer interpret network connections to be on the local subnet if they have IP Route Table entries that have an IP address of 0.0.0.0 and a mask of 0.0.0.0. This means that any port exceptions or program exceptions that use the My network (subnet) only scope option in Windows Firewall will not be available over most dial-up connections. You will still be able to access exceptions over a dial-up connection if you remove all scope restrictions or if you create a custom scope for exceptions.
Local network subnet configuration varies depending on the network that you are connected to and how that network is configured. Using the My network (subnet) only scope restriction does not guarantee security because it relies on the network subnet configuration to define what is the local network.
Important We strongly recommend that you use the custom scope option when you want to make sure that no unwanted incoming traffic is permitted to pass through your firewall exceptions.
To access the custom scope options for an exception, follow these steps:
- Log on to your computer as a member of the local Administrators group.
- Click Start, click Run, type firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
- In Windows Firewall, click the Exceptions tab. Click the program or service that you want to create an exception for.
- Click Edit, click Change scope, and then click Custom list.
Article ID: 886185 - Last Review: 11/14/2007 08:41:24 - Revision: 4.6
- kbhotfixserver kbqfe kbfix kbbug kbfirewall atdownload kbtshoot KB886185