When you try to install an update from the Microsoft Windows Update Web site on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003, you may receive the following error message on the Windows Update Web page:
No Updates Were Installed
Additionally, the Windows Update.log file may contain the following error message:
error 80070643: Fatal error during installation
- The Windows Update.log file is located in the %SystemRoot% folder.
- The %SystemRoot% folder is the folder where you installed Windows Small Business Server 2003.
This issue may occur if the following conditions are true:
- The update "Uninstall" folders are renamed.
- More than one "Uninstall" folder is found for the same update that you are trying to install.
For example, if you install security update 840374, you may find two "Uninstall" folders, $NtUninstallKB840374$ and $NtUninstallKB840374_0$, in the %SystemRoot% folder.
To resolve this issue, rename the "Uninstall" folders, and then install the Windows update. To do this, follow these steps:
- Start Windows Explorer, and then open the %SystemRoot% folder.
- Locate the $NtUninstallUpdate_Number$ folders in the %SystemRoot% folder.
- The $NtUninstallUpdate_Number$ folders are hidden folders. To show them, click Folder Options on the Tools menu, click the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.
- $NtUninstallUpdate_Number$ is the name of the update that you are trying to install on your computer.
- Right-click one of the $NtUninstallUpdate_Number$ folders, and then click Rename.
Type a new name for the folder. For example, type $NtUninstallUpdate_Number.old.
Repeat this step for all the "Uninstall" folders that contain this update number.
- Close Windows Explorer.
- Open Microsoft Internet Explorer, and then click Windows Update on the Tools menu.
For additional information about how to install Windows updates, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to keep your Windows computer up-to-date
Article ID: 887425 - Last Review: January 16, 2015 - Revision: 4.0
- Microsoft Windows Update
- Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition
- Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Update
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbtshoot KB887425|