Description of Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server 2003 Service Pack 2
Microsoft has released a service pack for Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server 2003. This article includes information about how to obtain the service pack and about how to obtain a list of issues that the service pack fixes. Additionally, this article includes information about the issues that you may experience when you install the service pack and about how to determine whether the service pack is installed.
Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) contains significant security enhancements, stability improvements, and performance improvements. Some of the fixes that are included with SharePoint Portal Server SP2 were previously released in separate updates. SharePoint Portal Server SP2 combines the previously released fixes into one update
Service pack details
Downloadable list of issues that the service pack fixesA Microsoft Excel workbook is available that contains a list of the post-Service Pack 1 SharePoint Portal Server 2003 issues that are fixed by SharePoint Portal Server 2003 SP2.
Note The workbook is in the English language. The workbook will not be translated into any other languages.
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the Office2003System_SP2Changes.exe package now.
Release Date: October 18, 2005
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online servicesMicrosoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
List of issues that the service pack fixesSharePoint Portal Server 2003 SP2 fixes the issues that are described in the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
906337 Issues that are fixed in SharePoint Portal Server 2003 by SharePoint Portal Server 2003 Service Pack 2
Known issues during installation of the service pack
- You try to install Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server. The administrator account does not have permission to start batch jobs or services. In this situation, the CPU usage goes to 100 percent (%). Additionally, SharePoint Portal Server is uninstalled.
For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:907376 When you try to install SharePoint Portal Server 2003, the installation process rolls back
- When an upgraded SharePoint Portal Server 2003 database fails or is canceled by the user, you must change the registry to restart the database upgrade.
For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:907308 You cannot restart a SharePoint Portal Server 2003 database upgrade
Known issues after the installation of the service packAfter you install a Microsoft Office service pack, you are unexpectedly prompted to restart the computer.
For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
905726 You are unexpectedly prompted to restart the computer after you install an Office service pack or an Office update
How to obtain and install the service packSharePoint Portal Server 2003 SP2, and also installation instructions and deployment strategies, is found on the Microsoft Download Center. To download this service pack from the Microsoft Download Center, visit the following Microsoft Web site:Note Before you install SharePoint Portal Server 2003 SP2 on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
905854 Prerequisites information for installing SharePoint Portal Server 2003 Service Pack 2 on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
How to determine whether the service pack is installedThe service pack contains files that have the versions that are listed in the following table.
Information for administrators about .msp filesThe administrative service pack consists of a full-file Microsoft Windows Installer file (.msp file) that is packaged in a self-extracting executable file. The following .msp file is distributed in this service pack:
V2sp2packlet.mspAdditional installation notes
- When you install the service pack, no user dialog box appears after the service pack is successfully installed.
- After you install the service pack, restart the server for the upgrade to complete successfully.
- The database schema is modified when you install the service pack. Therefore, any backups that were taken when the server was running the original release version of the following two programs cannot be restored to a server that has SharePoint Portal Server 2003 SP2 installed:
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server 2003
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- SharePoint Portal Server 2003 supports IBM Lotus Notes R6 only if you install SharePoint Portal Server 2003 SP2.
sharepointportalserver2003 sharepointportalserver2k3 sps2003 sps2k3 sharepoint portal server office security patch performance reliability update download 2003 hotfix fix service pack wss sps sp sp2 sp-2 sp 2
Article ID: 887623 - Last Review: 03/22/2007 16:42:49 - Revision: 3.5
Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server 2003
- kbtshoot kbfix kbupdate kbdownload atdownload KB887623