Description of Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft has released a service pack for Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2.0. This article includes information about how to obtain the service pack and about how to obtain a list of issues that the service pack fixes. Additionally, this article includes information about the issues that you may experience when you install the service pack and about how to determine whether the service pack is installed.
Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2) contains stability improvements and performance improvements. Some of the fixes that are included with Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 SP2 were previously released in separate updates. Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 SP2 combines the previously released fixes into one update.
Service pack details
List of issues that the service pack fixesWindows SharePoint Services 2.0 SP2 fixes the issues that are described in the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
906336 Issues that are fixed in Windows SharePoint Services by Windows SharePoint Services Service Pack 2
Security bulletin that is associated with the service packWindows SharePoint Services 2.0 SP2 addresses the issues that are described in the following Microsoft Security Bulletin:
887981 MS05-006: Vulnerability in Windows SharePoint Services and SharePoint Team Services could allow cross-site scripting and spoofing attacks
Earlier released updates that the service pack includesWindows SharePoint Services 2.0 SP2 includes the previously released updates that are described in the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
841876 Description of Windows SharePoint Services Service Pack 1
Known issues during the installation of the service pack
- When you try to install Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 SP2 on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based Systems, you receive an error message. For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:906896 You receive a "Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 cannot be installed because this server is not running a Microsoft Windows 2003 or later operating system" error message when you try to install Windows SharePoint Services Service Pack 2
- In a Web farm deployment of Windows SharePoint Services 2.0, you must upgrade all the Web servers in the Web farm. For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:875358 You must update all the Web servers that are running Windows SharePoint Services in a Web farm
Known issues after the installation of the service packIf you are using Windows Server 2003, and if you do not have Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 installed, installing Windows SharePoint Services SP2 does not create an entry for Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 SP2 in the Add or Remove Programs window in Control Panel.
If you have Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 installed, installing Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 SP2 creates an entry for Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 SP2 in the Add or Remove Programs window in Control Panel. However, the entry for Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 SP2 is visible only if the Show updates check box in the Add or Remove Programs window is selected.
How to obtain and install the service packWindows SharePoint Services 2.0 SP2 is located at the Microsoft Download Center. To download this service pack and to view installation instructions and deployment strategies, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
How to determine whether the service pack is installedThe service pack contains files that have the versions that are listed in the following table.
You do not have to install this service pack if you have a later version of the files that are listed in the table.
Additionally, the following files are installed when you install Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 SP2.
Information for administrators about .msp filesThe administrative service pack consists of a full-file Microsoft Windows Installer file (.msp file). The .msp file is packaged in a self-extracting executable file. The following .msp file is distributed in this service pack:
Additional installation notesThe following shared functionality features that are introduced in Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 SP2 should not be used until Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) is released and installed on the computer that is running Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 SP2:
- Support for running on 64-bit systems in 32-bit emulation mode
- Support for reverse proxy
- Support for IP-bound virtual servers
- Support for off-box SSL termination
- Support for Microsoft SQL Server 2005
windowssharepointservices2003 windowssharepointservices2k3 wss2003 wss2k3 windows sharepoint services office security patch performance reliability update download 2003 hotfix fix service pack wss sps sp2 sp sp-2 sp 2 servicepack
Article ID: 887624 - Last Review: 03/22/2007 16:41:02 - Revision: 2.6
Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2.0
- kbtshoot kbfix kbupdate kbdownload atdownload KB887624