When you insert a removable storage device in a Windows XP-based computer, and the device contains multimedia content, you may experience the following:
- Windows XP may not prompt you to choose a program for playing the multimedia content.
- The AutoPlay functionality in Windows XP may start the wrong program for your multimedia files.
CDs, DVDs, and flash media cards are all examples of a removable storage device.
To resolve this problem, change the way that your Windows XP-based computer handles multimedia content.
- Click Start, and then click My Computer.
- Under Devices with Removable Storage, right-click the device that you want, and then click Properties.
Note The removable storage device must be inserted in your computer to appear in My Computer.
- Click the AutoPlay tab, and then select the content type that you want to change in the list.
- In the Actions area, choose between the following options:
- Click Select an action to perform, and then click the action that you want Windows XP to perform.
- Click Prompt me each time to choose an action.
- Click OK.
Article ID: 888022 - Last Review: November 19, 2004 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition