An Office hotfix may not install or update files
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you install a Microsoft Office XP hotfix or a Microsoft Office 2003 hotfix on a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer, the hotfix may not install or update files.
- There may be no error messages or indications in the event log file that show that the hotfix did not install. Instead, the event log file and the verbose log file may indicate that the hotfix installed correctly.
- When you install an Office XP post-SP3 hotfix on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) or earlier versions, the hotfix installs correctly and updates files.
- This problem occurs with most Office XP post-SP3 and Office 2003 hotfixes. Some Office XP post-SP3 hotfixes and Office 2003 hotfixes do install and update files as expected. There may be no way to tell whether the hotfix did install correctly other than by determining the version of the installed files.
- This can affect Project and Visio hotfixes also.
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
PrerequisitesThere are no prerequisites to install this hotfix.
Restart informationYou do not have to restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix does not replace any later hotfixes.
Additional hotfix notesAfter you install this Windows XP SP2 hotfix, you may need to remove and reinstall the Office XP post-SP3 hotfixes that you installed on your computer. Doing so will ensure that the hotfixes are installed properly and that the files have been updated.
Hotfix file informationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name ------------------------------------------------------- 06-Nov-2004 01:02 3.0.3790.2550 2,804,224 Msi.dll
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the Standard Terminology That Is Used to Describe Microsoft Software Updates
windowsxpsp2 winxpsp2 xpsp2
Article ID: 888404 - Last Review: 01/16/2015 01:36:38 - Revision: 6.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbautohotfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbwinxppresp3fix kbfix kbbug KB888404