Microsoft has released the Microsoft Office XP post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package for Microsoft Office XP. This article describes the following items in the hotfix package:
- Issues that the hotfix package fixes
- Prerequisites for installing the hotfix package
- Information about whether you must restart your computer after you install the hotfix package
- Information about whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package
- Information about whether you must make any registry changes to use one or more of the hotfixes in the package
- Files that the hotfix package contains
This article describes the Microsoft Office XP issue that is fixed in the Office XP post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package that is dated October 31, 2004.
Issue that the hotfix package fixes
This hotfix package fixes the following issue that was not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
- You try to open a Microsoft Office XP document, such as a Microsoft Word 2002 document. You use the keyboard commands to open the document in Web view from a Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services site. The document does not open when you press ENTER. Instead, the Office program quits unexpectedly. You receive the following error message:
Microsoft program has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, submit a request to Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix. Note
If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note
The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
- The optimized version of this hotfix is a post-Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) hotfix. To install the hotfix, you must have Office XP SP3 installed.
For more information about Office XP SP3, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 3
- The optimized version of this hotfix requires Microsoft Windows Installer version 2.0 or a later version of Windows Installer.
For more information about the Windows Installer prerequisite, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Office XP updates and patches released after September 2002 may require Windows Installer 2.0
- The full-file version of this hotfix is also the administrative version of this hotfix. You can install this version of the hotfix on a computer that is running Office XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). However, we have tested this hotfix on Office XP SP3 more extensively than we have on Office XP SP2. If you install this hotfix on a computer that is running Office XP SP2, some file conflicts might occur. We support this configuration, but we do not recommend it.
You do not have to restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix is replaced by a later hotfix.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the Office XP post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package: January 10, 2005
You do not have to create or modify any registry keys to use any hotfixes that this package contains.
Hotfix file information
This hotfix contains only those files that are required to correct the issues that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Size File name
31-Oct-2004 20:21 10,525,696 Sharedff.msp (Full-File/Administrative)
31-Oct-2004 15:03 4,106,752 Sharedop.msp (Optimized)
After you install the hotfix, the global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table.
Date Time Version Size File name
29-Oct-2004 22:38 10.0.6738.0 9,796,288 Mso.dll
For additional information about installing this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that is included in the package.
For more information about the terminology that Microsoft uses when correcting software after it is released, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 888424 - Last Review: January 16, 2015 - Revision: 5.0
- Microsoft Office XP Developer Edition
- Microsoft Office XP Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office XP Small Business Edition
- Microsoft Access 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft FrontPage 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2002
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbautohotfix kbqfe kbHotfixServer kbofficexppostsp3fix kbopenfile kbbug kbfix kbhotfixrollup KB888424|