ACC: Cannot Group by Memo or OLE Object Fields in Query
This article was previously published under Q88926
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Novice: Requires knowledge of the user interface on single-user computers.
If you attempt to create a select, update, or append query that groupsby a Memo field or OLE Object field, you may receive the following errormessage:
Can't group on Memo or OLE object (<fieldname>).
Microsoft Access cannot group by a Memo field or OLE Object field in aquery. Also, the GROUP BY clause of a SQL statement cannot includeMemo or OLE Object fields.
To include a Memo or OLE object field in a totals query, drag thefield to the QBE grid and select the aggregate (totals) function First()or Last() in the Total row for that field.
You can group by the first <n> characters in a Memo field by using anexpression. To group by the first 25 characters in a Memo field calledDescription, follow these steps:
- Enter the following expression in the QBE grid:
- Click the Totals button on the toolbar.
- In the Total row, select Group By.
- Switch to Datasheet view. Note that "Expr" is the column header, and no error message appears.
Article ID: 88926 - Last Review: 10/26/2013 02:49:00 - Revision: 3.0
- Microsoft Access 1.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 1.1 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 97 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kberrmsg kbinfo kbusage KB88926