Veritas Backup Exec version 8.6 scheduled backups fail with an application event ID:57480 after you install security update 885835 on a Windows 2000-based computer
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
You are running Veritas Backup Exec version 8.6 on a Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer and the following conditions are true:
- You have installed security update 885835 on your computer.
- You use the Veritas Network Storage Exec configuration option.
- Your password for the backup service account contains at least 14 characters.
Veritas Backup Exec version 8.6 scheduled backups may fail, and you may receive the following error message in the application event log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Backup Exec
Event Category: None
Event ID: 57480
Description:An attempt to establish a network connection to \\target_path failed.
Veritas Backup Exec version 8.6, when it runs the Network Storage Exec option, cannot handle passwords that are 14 characters or more in length.
You must contact Veritas Product Support to obtain the fix for this issue.
For information about your hardware manufacturer, visit the following Web site:
For additional information about security update 885835, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
MS04-044: Vulnerabilities in Windows Kernel and LSASS Could Allow Elevation of Privilege
Article ID: 891531 - Last Review: 10/27/2013 07:05:00 - Revision: 1.2
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbsecurity kbadmin kbtshoot kberrmsg kbprb KB891531