You may receive a "RUNAS ERROR: Unable to run" error message in Windows XP with Service Pack 2
- Two user accounts, User1 and User2, exist on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2).
- The User1 account is subject to the Software Restriction Policies (SAFER) setting on the computer. This setting keeps the User1 account from running a specific application (Application1).
- You use the User1 account to log on to the computer.
- You use the User2 account to run Application1 by using the runas command or the Run as graphical user interface (GUI).
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
PrerequisitesThere are no prerequisites.
Restart requirementYou must restart the computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix does not replace any other hotfixes.
File informationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name -------------------------------------------------------------- 04-Mar-2005 20:44 5.1.2600.2624 616,960 Advapi32.dll
- Use the runas command at a command prompt. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
- Type runas arguments, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click the program, click Run as, and then select the user.
Article ID: 895196 - Last Review: 10/09/2011 13:27:00 - Revision: 3.0
- kbautohotfix kbwinxpsp2fix kbfix kbbug kbhotfixserver kbqfe KB895196