You receive a "The remote procedure call failed" error message when you upgrade a Visual Basic 6.0 project to Visual Studio .NET 2003 or Visual Studio 2005 on Windows Server 2003 SP1 or on Windows XP SP2
Note The VBU.exe tool starts when you upgrade the Visual Basic 6.0 project by using the Visual Basic Upgrade Wizard in the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET IDE.
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System. The System Properties dialog box appears.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Performance. The Performance Options dialog box appears.
- Click the Data Execution Prevention tab. Verify that the Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select option is selected
Note By default, the Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select option is selected in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
- Click Add. Locate and then click to select VBU.exe. Click Open.
- In the warning box, click OK. VBU.exe now appears in the DEP program area.
- Click Apply, and then click OK. A dialog box appears that states that you must restart the computer for the setting to take effect. Click OK.
Steps to reproduce the behavior
- Install Windows Server 2003 SP1 on a computer that supports the no-execute (NX) page-protection feature. For example, install Windows Server 2003 SP1 on an AMD64-based computer or on an IA-64-based computer.
- Install Visual Studio .NET 2003 or Visual Studio 2005.
- Make sure that the Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select option is selected on the Data Execution Prevention tab as described in the "Workaround" section.
- Try to upgrade a Visual Basic 6.0 project by opening the project in Visual Studio .NET 2003 or Visual Studio 2005.
Article ID: 896292 - Last Review: 12/06/2006 23:18:59 - Revision: 2.5
- kbvs2005swept kbvs2005applies kbtshoot kberrmsg kbprb KB896292