You receive a "Stop error code 0x000000C2" (BAD_POOL_CALLER) error message on a Windows 2000-based computer
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
On a Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer, you may experience any one of the following symptoms:
- Your computer automatically restarts.
- After you log on, you receive the following error message: Microsoft WindowsWhen you click the click here link at the bottom of the message box, you see error signature information that is similar to the following:
The system has recovered from a serious error.
A log of this error has been created.
Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
We have created an error report that you can send to help us improve Microsoft Windows. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.
To see what data this error report contains, click here.
BCCode: 000000C2 BCP1: 00000007 BCP2: 00000b8a BCP3: f955c940 BCP4: f955c948 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0 Product: 256_1
- You receive the following Stop error message on a blue screen: A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer...
*** STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000007, 0x00000b8a, 0xf955c940, 0xf955c948)
- An error message that is similar to the following is logged in the System event log: Date: date
Error Time: time
Event ID: 1003
Description: Error code 000000C2, parameter1 00000007, parameter2 00000b8a, parameter3 f955c940, parameter4 f955c948. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://support.microsoft.com. Data: 0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E 0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er 0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code 0018: 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 35 00000c2 0020: 30 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d 0 Param 0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 66 66 eters ff 0030: 66 66 66 66 64 31 2c
- The Stop error message varies according to the configuration of the computer's system failure options. For more information about how to configure system failure options, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 307973 How to configure system failure and recovery options in Windows
- The four parameters that are listed in the Stop error message vary with the computer's configuration.
- Not all "Stop 0x000000C2" errors are caused by the problem that is described in this article. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 265879 How to debug "Stop 0xC2" or "Stop 0x000000C2" error messages
This issue occurs because of a problem in the NTFS file system driver.
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, submit a request to Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
PrerequisitesNo prerequisites are required.
Restart requirementRestart the computer after you apply this fix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix does not replace any other hotfixes.
File informationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Windows 2000, x86-based versions
Date Time Version Size File name -------------------------------------------------------------- 15-May-2005 16:18 5.0.2195.7050 513,456 Ntfs.sys
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
bugcheck bug check crash kernel bluescreen 0xC2C2
Article ID: 896674 - Last Review: 12/09/2015 02:22:32 - Revision: 4.0
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition, Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbautohotfix kbocabucket kbbug kberrmsg kbbluescreen kbfix kbhotfixserver kbqfe KB896674