The Wireless Link icon does not appear in the notification area and the "Send files to another computer" icon does not appear on the desktop when you try to connect an infrared device to a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack 2
- The Wireless Link icon is not displayed in the notification area at the far right of the taskbar.
- The Send files to another computer icon does not appear on the desktop.
- You log on to Windows XP SP2 by using an account that has limited rights. For example, you log on to Windows XP SP2 as a user who is a member of the Domain Users group.
- An administrator has not logged on to the computer after the Setup program has finished the installation of Windows XP SP2.
These registry keys are created when an administrator logs on for the first time after the installation of Windows XP SP2. This enables the icons for all users.
Note If you log on to the computer after an administrator logs on, the infrared icons appear.
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
PrerequisitesYou must have Windows XP SP2 installed to apply this hotfix. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Restart requirementYou must restart the computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix does not replace any other hotfixes.
File informationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name --------------------------------------------------------- 21-Apr-2005 00:54 5.1.2600.2659 151,552 Irftp.exe 21-Apr-2005 03:59 5.1.2600.2659 28,160 Irmon.dll
- After the Setup program finishes the installation of Windows XP SP2, log on to the computer by using an account that has administrative rights.
- Log off the computer, and then log on to the computer as a user who has a limited user account.
Article ID: 896984 - Last Review: 06/20/2014 09:55:00 - Revision: 3.0
- kbautohotfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbbug kbfix KB896984