Microsoft has released the Excel 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package for Microsoft Excel 2002. This article describes the following information about the hotfix package:
- Issue that the hotfix package fixes
- Prerequisites for installing the hotfix package
- Information about whether you must restart the computer after you install the hotfix package
- Information about whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package
- Information about whether you must make any registry changes to use one or more of the hotfixes in the package
- Files that the hotfix package contains
This article describes the Excel 2002 issue that is fixed in the Excel 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package that is dated April 21, 2005.
Issue that the hotfix package fixes
This hotfix package fixes the following issue that was not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
- When you run a Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) macro that calls a Workbook property in the WorkbookActivate event to open a data file, Excel 2002 unexpectedly quits. Additionally, you receive the following error message:
When you view the data in the error report, the report contains an error signature that is similar to the following:
Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
To see what data this error report contains, click here.
This issue may occur when all the following conditions are true:
Application name Application version Module name Module version Offset
Excel.exe 10.0.6501.0 Excel.exe 10.0.6501.0 0001e93a
- You open a worksheet that uses a volatile function.
Note A volatile function must be recalculated whenever calculation occurs on any cell in the worksheet.
- You run a VBA macro that uses the WorkbookActivate event to call a Workbook property, such as the Path property or the FullName property.
- The VBA macro opens a non-Excel data file, such as a .csv file or a .txt file.
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, submit a request to Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix. Note
If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note
The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
- The optimized version of this hotfix is a post-Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) hotfix. To install this version of the hotfix, you must have Office XP SP3 installed.
For more information about Office XP SP3, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 3
- The optimized version of this hotfix requires Microsoft Windows Installer 2.0 or a later version.
For more information about the Windows Installer requirement, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Office XP updates and patches released after September 2002 may require Windows Installer 2.0
- The full-file version of this hotfix is also the administrative version of this hotfix. You can install this version of the hotfix on a computer that is running Office XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). However, we have tested this hotfix on a computer that is running Office XP SP3 more extensively than we have on a computer that is running Office XP SP2. If you install this hotfix on a computer that is running Office XP SP2, some file conflicts may occur. We support this configuration, but we do not recommend it.
You do not have to restart the computer after you install this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix is not replaced by any later hotfix.
You do not have to create or modify any registry keys to use the hotfix that this package contains.
Hotfix file information
This hotfix contains only those files that are required to correct the issue that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Size File name
21-Apr-2005 18:35 15,023,616 Excelff.msp (full-file/administrative)
21-Apr-2005 18:35 5,081,088 Excelop.msp (optimized)
After you install the hotfix, the global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table.
Date Time Version Size File name
08-Apr-2005 05:16 10.0.6759.0 9,194,176 Excel.exe
For more information about how to install this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that is included in the package.
For more information about the terminology that Microsoft uses for software that is corrected after it is released, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 897322 - Last Review: October 27, 2013 - Revision: 2.3
- Microsoft Excel 2002 Standard Edition
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbautohotfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbprogramming kbautomation kbvba kberrmsg kbbug kbfix kbhotfixrollup kbofficexppostsp3fix KB897322|