The icon that represents an inserted object displays the complete path of the object in Word 2003
Note You may not want the complete path of the object to be displayed for security reasons.
Service pack informationThis problem is corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 3.To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
After you install the service pack, follow the steps that are listed in the "More Information" section of the article to set the
How to obtain the hotfixThis issue is fixed in the Word 2003 post-Service Pack 2 Hotfix Package that is dated November 10, 2005. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
To implement this hotfix, follow these steps:
- Quit Word 2003.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click to select the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Options
- After you select the key that is specified in step 3, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type ShowFileNameOnlyInIconCaption, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click ShowFileNameOnlyInIconCaption, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
Note If you already inserted the object in the document, click the object, and then press DELETE. Then, follow these steps.
To remove the path string when you insert an object in a Word 2003 document, follow these steps:
- On the Insert menu, click Object, and then click the Create from File tab.
- Click Browse, and then locate the folder that you want.
- Click the file that you want to add, and then click Insert.
- In the File name box, remove the path string that appears before the file name. For example, if the complete path of the file is C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\My Pictures\test.bmp, remove all other text so that only test.bmp remains.
- Click to select the Display as icon check box.
- Click OK.
This problem was first corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 3.
Article ID: 898610 - Last Review: 10/09/2011 12:29:00 - Revision: 5.0
- kbregistry kboffice2003sp3fix kboffice2003presp3fix kbqfe kbbug kbfix KB898610