You receive an error message if you try to start the Phone and Modem Options tool in Control Panel on a Windows XP-based computer
If you try to start the Phone and Modem Options tool in Control Panel, you receive the following error message:
Phone and Modem control panel can not be opened. You may have a problem starting telephony service.
This issue occurs if the Telephony service is not started or is not configured correctly.
To resolve this issue, configure the Telephony service to use a manual startup type. To configure the Telephony service to use a manual startup type, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type services.msc in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Double-click Telephony.
- On the General tab, click Manual in the Startup type box, and then click OK.
- Restart the computer.
Article ID: 899871 - Last Review: 06/28/2005 07:52:11 - Revision: 1.2
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
- kberrmsg kbtshoot kbprb KB899871