Description of the Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package: May 23, 2005
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Microsoft has released the Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003. This article describes the following information about the hotfix package:
- The issue that the hotfix package fixes
- Prerequisites for installing the hotfix package
- Information about whether you must restart the computer after you install the hotfix package
- Information about whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package
- Information about whether you must make any registry changes to use one or more of the hotfixes in the package
- Files that the hotfix package contains
This article describes the Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 issue that is fixed in the Outlook 2003 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package that is dated May 23, 2005.
The issue that the hotfix package fixesThis hotfix package also fixes the following issue that was not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
- When you use Outlook 2003, you may receive the following error message:The file Path_to_PST_or_OST_file is in use and could not be accessed. Close any application that is using this file, and then try again.Additionally, you may receive similar error messages that relate to the Offline Folder files (.ost) or to the Personal Folders files (.pst) that are being used by Outlook 2003.
This issue occurs if the following conditions are true:
- The computer has 2 gigabytes (GB) or more than 2 GB of RAM.
- You reduced the maximum suggested heap size from 64 megabytes (MB) to 16 MB.
- You open 6 to 8 large .pst files in Outlook 2003. For example, each .pst file is at least 250 MB. Or, you open 60 to 70 small .pst files in Outlook 2003.
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
PrerequisitesThe following list contains prerequisites for the hotfix package:
- The optimized version of this hotfix is a post-Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) hotfix. To install the hotfix, you must have Office 2003 SP1 installed.
For more information about Office 2003 SP1, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:842532 Description of Office 2003 Service Pack 1
- The full-file version of this hotfix is also the administrative version of this hotfix. You can install this version of the hotfix on a computer that is running Office 2003 with Office 2003 SP1 installed or on a computer that is running Office 2003 without Office 2003 SP1 installed. However, we have tested this hotfix more extensively on a computer that is running Office 2003 with Office 2003 SP1 installed than we have on a computer that is running Office 2003 without Office 2003 SP1 installed. If you install this hotfix on a computer that is running Office 2003 without Office 2003 SP1 installed, some file conflicts might occur. We support this configuration, but we do not recommend this configuration.
Restart informationYou do not have to restart the computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix is not replaced by any later hotfix.
Registry informationYou do not have to create or modify any registry keys to use any hotfixes that this package contains.
Hotfix file informationThis hotfix contains only those files that are required to correct the issues that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name -------------------------------------------------------------- 06-Jun-2005 20:37 11.0.6508.0 4,302,584 Office2003-kb900628-enu.exe
Microsoft Windows Installer .msp file information
Date Time Size File name -------------------------------------------------------- 23-May-2005 17:12 3,942,912 Olkintlff.msp (full-file/administrative) 23-May-2005 17:03 538,624 Olkintlop.msp (optimized)
After the hotfix is installed, the global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table.
Date Time Version Size File name -------------------------------------------------------------- 17-Mar-2005 23:01 6.5.6981.6 727,040 Cdo.dll 24-Jun-2004 05:08 11.0.6361.0 116,424 Contab32.dll 27-Aug-2004 00:47 11.0.6402.0 31,944 Dumpster.dll 27-Aug-2004 00:48 11.0.6402.0 106,696 Emablt32.dll 22-Jan-2005 03:04 11.0.6419.0 215,240 Emsabp32.dll 22-Apr-2005 05:33 11.0.6505.0 705,736 Emsmdb32.dll 22-Apr-2005 05:33 11.0.6505.0 132,296 Emsui32.dll 19-May-2004 00:54 11.0.6355.0 778,944 Mapir.dll 19-May-2004 00:53 11.0.6355.0 30,408 Mlshext.dll 22-Apr-2005 05:33 11.0.6505.0 1,359,560 Msmapi32.dll 22-Apr-2005 05:33 11.0.6505.0 717,512 Mspst32.dll 17-May-2005 14:53 11.0.6508.0 653,504 Outex.dll 19-Apr-2005 17:10 11.0.6504.0 3,057,864 Outllibr.dll 11-Mar-2004 22:02 11.0.6254.0 279,240 Pstprx32.dll 22-Apr-2005 05:32 11.0.6505.0 42,696 Scanpst.exe 22-Apr-2005 05:33 11.0.6505.0 232,648 Scnpst32.dll 22-Apr-2005 05:33 11.0.6505.0 241,352 Scnpst64.dll
- For more information about how to install this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that is included in the hotfix package.
- For more information about the differences between the two .msp files, see the "Strategies for Updating Office 2003 Installations" topic. To see this topic, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
For more information about the terminology that Microsoft uses for software that is corrected after the software is released, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
OL11 OL2005 memory
Article ID: 900628 - Last Review: 01/16/2015 09:04:51 - Revision: 5.0
Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbautohotfix kbhotfixserver kbmemory kbemail kbfix kbqfe kbhotfixrollup kboffice2003presp2fix KB900628