When you start one of the products that are listed in the "Applies To" section, you receive an error message that resembles the following:
One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed because either: 1) Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page, or 2) You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls. As a result, the page may not display correctly.
When you click OK
in the error message, you receive the same error message again. Later, if you try to open a new project file or an existing project file, you receive the same error message two times. Additionally, the project opens but cannot be seen.
This issue occurs if the following conditions are true:
- The Project Guide is enabled.
- Security settings for the Local Machine zone are configured to prevent ActiveX content from running.
The security settings for the Local Machine zone control the browsing of local content in Windows Internet Explorer. The Project Guide is an Internet Explorer page that displays in Project.
This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Expand the following registry subkey:
- In the right pane, right-click 1200, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type either 1 or 0 to overwrite the existing value of 3. Then, click OK.
Note If you type 1 in the Value data box, you will receive the following prompt when you start Microsoft Project: Additionally, you will receive this prompt at other times when you use Microsoft Project. If you do not want to receive this prompt, type 0 in the Value data box.
The values 0, 1, and 3 are associated with the following behavior:
- 0 = Enabled, or the action is permitted
- 1 = Prompt
- 3 = Disabled, or the action is not permitted
- Quit Registry Editor.
If this issue still occurs after you perform this procedure, your administrator may have set a policy that prevents ActiveX content from running in the Local Machine zone. We recommend that you contact your administrator to configure the settings for the Local Machine zone.
For more information about the Microsoft Internet Explorer security settings that cause this error message, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to strengthen the security settings for the Local Machine zone in Internet Explorer
Turn off the Project Guide. To do this, perform one of the following actions, depending on your version of Project:
- Project 2007
On the View menu, click Turn Off Project Guide.
- Project 2002 and 2003
On the Tools menu, click Options, click the Interface tab, and then click to clear the Display Project Guide check box. Then, click OK.
Article ID: 907343 - Last Review: December 12, 2006 - Revision: 3.5
- Microsoft Office Project Professional 2007
- Microsoft Office Project Standard 2007
- Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003
- Microsoft Office Project Standard 2003
- Microsoft Project 2002 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Project Standard 2002