Error message when you install Office 2003 Service Pack 2: "The expected version of the product was not found on your system"
- The Office 2003 Web Components are not updated as expected.
- A message that is similar to the following message is logged in the log file:MSI (s) (54:DC) [15:30:23:825]: Product: Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components -- Installation failed.
MSI (s) (54:DC) [15:30:23:841]: MainEngineThread is returning 1642
The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.
- Office 2003 Web Components version 3 is included on the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 CD-ROM, and is also available on the following Microsoft Download Center Web site:
- Office 2003 Web Components version 2 was previously available on the Microsoft Download Center Web site.
Method 1: Office 2003 Web Components version 3 is installed on the computerNo action is required. This version of the Office Web Components is up to date.
Method 2: Office 2003 Web Components version 2 is installed on the computerTo resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Remove Office 2003 Web Components version 2. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
- In the list of currently installed programs, click Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components, and then click Remove.
- Download Office 2003 Web Components version 3 from the Microsoft Download Center Web site:
- Install Office 2003 Web Components version 3 as described on the Microsoft Download Center.
For more information about how to use the log files that are created when you try to update Microsoft Office 2003 to help you determine the cause of an unsuccessful Microsoft Office update, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Article ID: 909074 - Last Review: 06/20/2014 10:21:00 - Revision: 5.0
- kbofficewebspread kbofficewebpivot kbofficewebchart kberrmsg kbtshoot kbprb KB909074