Description of the update for Office 2003 Alternative User Input: May 9, 2006
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Office 2003 Alternative User Input. This article describes information about how to obtain the update, how to obtain a list of issues fixed by the update, issues you may experience while you install the update, and how to determine whether the update is installed.
The update for Office 2003 Alternative User Input (KB912440) updates the framework that is used to support advanced text services in Microsoft Office 2003.
List of issues that the update fixesThe update for Office 2003 Alternative User Input (KB912440) fixes the following issue that was not previously documented in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.
- Consider the following scenario. You programmatically create a child window in an Office 2003 program. Then, you use the SetForegroundWindow call in API. After you use the SetForegroundWindow call in API, you use the AllowSetForeground() function. In this scenario, the child window may not appear in the foreground.
This issue may occur when the following conditions are true:
- You are using the Microsoft Office 2003 Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI).
- You click the Language bar icon in the notification area to change the input language in the Office 2003 program.
Earlier released updates that this update includesThe update for Office 2003 Alternative User Input (KB912440) includes the following earlier released update:
870774 Description of the Office 2003 Alternative User Input update: November 9, 2004
Known issues during installation of the update
- The update should only be installed on a Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer from one of the following installation locations:
This update cannot be applied to this Operating System.
- the Microsoft Office Update Web site
- the Microsoft Download Center
- the Microsoft Update Web site
- You must restart the computer after you apply this update.
How to obtain and install the updateThe update for Office 2003 Alternative User Input (KB912440), and also installation instructions and deployment strategies, are found on the Microsoft Download Center.
To download this update from the Microsoft Download Center, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
How to determine whether the update is installedThe update contains files that have the versions that are listed in the following table.
You do not have to install this update if you have a later version of the files that are listed in the table.
|File name||File version|
To determine whether the update is installed on your computer, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
- In the Search for files or folders named box, type the file name of the file that you want to find, such as Msctf.dll.
- In the Look in box, select the local hard disk drive.
- Click Search Now to search for the file.
- Right-click the found file, and then click Properties.
- On the Version tab, determine the version of the file that is installed on the computer.
Information for administrators about .msp filesThe update for Office 2003 Alternative User Input (KB912440) is a full-file Microsoft Windows Installer file (.msp file) that is packaged in a self-extracting executable file.
The following .msp file is distributed in this service pack:
Msctf.mspFor detailed procedures that explain how to update an administrative image and to update client computers, see the "Updating clients from a patched administrative image" section in the "Strategies for Updating Office 2003 Installations" topic. To view the "Strategies for Updating Office 2003 Installations" topic, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
office2003 office2k3 office11 off2003 off2k3 off11 windows2000 windows2k win2000 win2k office alternative user input office security patch performance reliability update download 2003 fix
Article ID: 912440 - Last Review: 12/09/2015 04:11:21 - Revision: 1.5
Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003, Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003, Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003, Microsoft Office Students and Teachers Edition 2003, Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbautomation kbprogramming kbmui kbexpertisebeginner kbfix kbupdate kbdownload atdownload KB912440