Error when you install Zoo Tycoon 2 expansion pack "Setup was unable to find a Zoo Tycoon 2"
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you try to install the Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2 expansion pack, you may receive an error message that resembles one of the following error messages:
Setup was unable to find a Zoo Tycoon 2 installation on your computer and cannot proceed. Please install Zoo Tycoon 2 before attempting to install Zoo Tycoon 2 < expansion name.
Zoo Tycoon 2 is not installed. Please install Zoo Tycoon 2 and then run this setup again.
This issue occurs because you must have the full product installed on the computer to install the expansion. The following products are expansions, not full products:
- Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: African Adventure
- Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: Dino Danger
- Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: Endangered Species
- Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: Marine Mania
To resolve this issue, you need to purchase and install Zoo tycoon 2: Ultimate Collection as Zoo Tycoon 2 is no longer available for download outside of the Zoo Tycoon 2: Ultimate collection.
To purchase Zoo Tycoon 2: Ultimate Collection, visit the following Microsoft Web site:Note If you have Zoo Tycoon 2 installed and you still receive an error message that states that Zoo Tycoon 2 is not installed, log on to Microsoft Windows. When you log on to Windows, use the same user account that you used to install Zoo Tycoon 2. If you have the full product installed, remove and then reinstall both the full product and the expansion pack.
When you remove Zoo Tycoon 2, the Zoo Tycoon 2 expansion pack is also removed from the computer.
If you have the base game Zoo Tycoon 2 already installed but still receive this error message, follow these steps to remove and then reinstall the products:
- Windows Vista: Click Start, type appwiz.cpl, and then press ENTER.
Windows XP: Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
- In the Add or Remove Programs or Programs and Features window, locate the game, and then click Change/Remove or Uninstall to open the main uninstallation window.
- On the Uninstallation screen, do not click to select the Remove saved games check box. If you want to remove all the saved game sessions, click to select the Remove saved games check box, and then click OK.
- Follow the instructions that appear in the Uninstallation Wizard.
- Click OK to complete the uninstallation process. Remove the expansion if it is installed.
- When the uninstallation process is complete, perform a clean boot procedure. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:331796 How to perform a clean boot procedure to prevent background programs from interfering with a game or a program that you currently use
- After you perform the clean boot procedure, reinstall the game.
err install requires
Article ID: 912837 - Last Review: 12/09/2015 04:17:28 - Revision: 6.0
Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2, Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: African Adventure, Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: Dino Danger, Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: Endangered Species, Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: Marine Mania
- kbnosurvey kbarchive dftsdahomeportal kberrmsg kbprb KB912837