Error message when you try to install Windows Media Player 10 on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer: "This version of Windows Media Technologies is incompatible with this version of Windows"
- Click Start, click Run, type explorer, and then click OK.
- Locate the Wmploc.dll file in the %systemroot%\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder, and then copy it to the %systemroot%\System32 folder.
Note The %systemroot% folder is the folder where you installed Microsoft Windows. Also, the %systemroot%\ServicePackFiles folder may not be present on the computer. In this case, you must manually search for the Wmploc.dll file on the computer, and then copy it to the %systemroot%\System32 folder. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Search.
- Click All files and folders, and then type Wmploc.dll in the All or part of the file name box.
- In the Look in list, click My Computer, and then click Search.
- Locate the Wmploc.dll file in the list of files that are found, and then copy it to the %systemroot%\System32 folder.
- Install Windows Media Player 10.
Article ID: 914223 - Last Review: 06/20/2014 10:48:00 - Revision: 4.0
- kbtshoot KB914223