Network Diagnostics for Windows XP is available to help identify and fix network connection problems
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article discusses the Network Diagnostics for Windows XP tool. This tool is available to help you identify and fix connection problems. These connection problems may occur with computers on a home network that connect to the Internet by using a cable modem or by using a digital subscriber line (DSL) modem.
The Network Diagnostics for Windows XP tool can help troubleshoot some of the most common connection problems that you may encounter in a home networking environment.
To diagnose network connectivity status, the Network Diagnostics for Windows XP tool analyzes the following tests:
- IP configuration test
- Default gateway test
- Winsock test
- DNS test
- Firewall test
- Internet connectivity validation test
Most home networks use one of the following methods to access or share a single high-speed Internet connection:
- A stand-alone router
- A home gateway, such as a cable modem together with a router or a DSL modem together with router
- A computer that is running Internet Connection Sharing or another form of Network Address Translation (NAT)
How to obtain the Network Diagnostics for Windows XP toolThe following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Network Diagnostic Tool (KB914440): Download the WindowsXP-KB914440-v12-x86-ENU.exe package now.
How to run the Network Diagnostics for Windows XP toolYou can use the Network Diagnostics for Windows XP tool to test network connectivity and to determine whether your network-related programs and services are working correctly. To start the tool, use one of the following methods:
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer, click Diagnose Connection Problems on the Tools menu.
- Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\network diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe, and then click OK.
- Run Guided Help for Microsoft Knowledge Base article 326155. For more information about how to download Guided Help for Microsoft Knowledge Base article 956196, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:956196 You receive an error message in Internet Explorer: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time||Platform||SP requirement|
|Xpnetdg.xsl||Not Applicable||1,692||14-Apr-2006||22:11||Not Applicable||SP2|
ICS cable DSL router "high-speed"
Article ID: 914440 - Last Review: 12/09/2015 04:39:14 - Revision: 2.3
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive atdownload kbexpertisebeginner KB914440