Error message when you try to use a merge publication that you created in SQL Server 2005: "Precomputed partitions cannot be used"
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
BUG #: 408626 (SQLBUDT)
When you try to use a merge publication that you created in Microsoft SQL Server 2005, you may receive one of the following error messages:
Error message 1
Precomputed partitions cannot be used because articles "%s" and "%s" are part of a join filter and at least one of them has a constraint with a CASCADE action defined.
Error message 2
The logical record relationship between articles "%s" and "%s" cannot be added because at least one of the articles has a constraint with a CASCADE action defined.
This problem occurs when the following conditions are true:
- The Precompute partitions setting of the merge publication is set to True.
- The merge publication contains an article that is based on a table that is specified to use cascading referential integrity constraints.
- The merge publication contains join filters for the article.
This problem occurs because precomputed partitions cannot be used for a table that is specified to use cascading referential integrity constraints.
Service pack information
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2005. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain the latest service pack for SQL Server 2005
To work around this problem, set the Precompute partitions setting to False. Alternatively, rewrite the referential integrity constraints by not using cascading referential integrity.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section. This problem was first corrected in Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 1.
For more information, see the following topics in SQL Server Books Online:
- Optimizing parameterized filter performance with precomputed partitions
- How to optimize parameterized row filters (SQL Server Management Studio)
- Cascading referential integrity constraints
Article ID: 914780 - Last Review: 12/09/2015 04:41:06 - Revision: 2.4
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition, Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbsql2005sp1fix kbsql2005presp1fix kbexpertiseadvanced kbtshoot kbsql2005repl kbprb KB914780