Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac. This article describes the following information about the update:
- Improvements that are included in the update
- How to obtain the update
This article discusses the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.2.3 Update. This update provides several improvements for Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac, for Microsoft PowerPoint 2004 for Mac, for Microsoft Excel 2004 for Mac, and for Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac.
Improvements that are included in the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.2.3 Update
The Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.2.3 Update provides the following improvements.
Improvements for Word 2004 for Mac
- Custom line number styles work correctly with change tracking
This update fixes an issue that causes Word 2004 for Mac to stop responding and to display the following error message:
This issue may occur if you use a custom line number style and change tracking at the same time.
The formatting in this document is too complex. Please full save the document now.
- "Date" and "Number" Text form fields handle valid input correctly
This update fixes an issue that causes Word 2004 for Mac to incorrectly handle valid input in Text form fields for which the type is set to Date or to Number.
- Full-width number characters that use Hiragino fonts are displayed and printed correctly
This update fixes an issue that causes full-width number characters that use Hiragino fonts to appear as half-width characters and to align incorrectly. This issue affects only versions of Word 2004 for Mac that are registered for use with Japanese.
Improvements for PowerPoint 2004 for Mac
- Stability is improved when you save presentations
This update fixes the following issues that cause PowerPoint 2004 for Mac to close unexpectedly, to lose data, or to display error messages when you try to save presentations:
- In some cases, the presentation contains unreadable or corrupted data.
- The presentation contains slides that have been inserted from another presentation with a different master slide layout.
- The presentation file is scanned by another program such as Spotlight or an antivirus program. When you try to save the presentation, you receive the following error message:
There was an error accessing the file.
Improvements for Excel 2004 for Mac
- Security is improved
This update addresses a vulnerability in Excel 2004 for Mac that could enable an attacker to use a modified workbook file to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code.
Improvements for Entourage 2004 for Mac
- Entourage synchronizes with Mac OS X Sync Services
If you use Mac OS X 10.4.3 or later versions of Mac OS, you can synchronize Entourage 2004 for Mac items with other programs such as Address Book and iCal after you install this update. You can synchronize Entourage 2004 for Mac items with other Macintosh computers by using Apple's .Mac online services. You can also synchronize Entourage 2004 for Mac items with portable devices that are compatible with iSync such as phones and personal digital assistants (PDAs). Entourage 2004 for Mac can synchronize contacts, events, tasks, and notes through Sync Services. For more information about how to use Entourage 2004 for Mac with Sync Services, see Entourage 2004 for Mac Help. For more information about Sync Services, see Mac Help.
- You can use Spotlight to search Entourage 2004 for Mac items
If you use Mac OS X 10.4.3 or later versions of Mac OS, you can use Spotlight to search Entourage 2004 for Mac items after you install this update. You can use Spotlight to index all unencrypted Entourage 2004 for Mac items and to search their contents. To use this feature, make sure that Spotlight is turned on for the volume in which you store Entourage 2004 for Mac items. To install the latest version of Mac OS X 10.4, click Software Update on the Apple menu. For more information about how to configure Entourage for Spotlight searches, see Entourage Help. For more information about Spotlight, see Mac Help.
- Entourage 2004 for Mac can use smart cards to sign, to encrypt, and to decrypt e-mail messages
For users of Mac OS X 10.4.2 or of later versions of Mac OS, this update provides improved compatibility with Mac OS keychain support for smart cards such as Common Access Cards. Therefore, Entourage 2004 for Mac can use certificates and private keys that are stored on smart cards to sign, to encrypt, and to decrypt Entourage 2004 for Mac e-mail messages. This update also improves Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extension (S/MIME) certificate support.
- SSL connections to Mac OS X 10.4 servers work correctly
After you install this update, Entourage 2004 for Mac and other Office 2004 for Mac programs are more compatible with self-signed certificates. Self-signed certificates are used to establish Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connections to servers that are running Mac OS X 10.4 Server.
- Calendar lists are printed correctly
This update fixes an issue that causes Entourage 2004 for Mac to close unexpectedly when you use the Calendar List print option to print some calendars. The issue occurs if the week that follows the week that is printed has an all-day event on its first day. For example, Sunday is set as the first day of the week and an all-day event is scheduled for the Sunday that follows the week that is being printed. In the Calendar section of Entourage 2004 for Mac preferences, you can set the day that you want as the first day of the week.
- Meeting invitations, cancellations, and reminders work correctly
This update fixes issues with how Entourage 2004 for Mac handles meeting invitations, cancellations, and reminders.
- Duplicate events are no longer created when you accept updated meeting invitations.
- Meeting invitations that are automatically accepted register correctly as "tentative" instead of "busy" on the Entourage 2004 for Mac calendar.
- Changes that were made to one instance of a recurring event affect only that instance.
- Recurring events that include exceptions such as canceled or rescheduled events no longer show reminders for past event dates.
- Recurring events that include a canceled event are processed and synchronized correctly for users of Exchange Server accounts.
- Entourage 2004 for Mac prompts you to send updates to attendees when you change the length of a meeting.
- Entourage 2004 for Mac handles incorrectly formatted or malformed iCal or vCal meeting invitations correctly.
- Entourage 2004 for Mac correctly displays free/busy schedule information when a delegate schedules meetings.
- Meeting invitations that are sent with the Show time as option set to Free appear correctly on the recipient's calendar.
Previously released improvements that are included in this update
This update includes all the improvements that are included in all previous Office 2004 for Mac updates.
For more information about improvements in a previous update, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Service Pack 1 (11.1.0)
Description of the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.1.1 Update
Description of the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Service Pack 2 (11.2.0)
Description of the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.2.1 Update
How to obtain the Office 2004 for Mac 11.2.3 Update
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the 915057 package now.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
Release Date: March 14, 2006
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
The readme file that is included with the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.2.3 Update includes the following important release information:
- System requirements
- Information about how to install the update
- Information about how to troubleshoot problems with installation of this update
- A list of updated files
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
Article ID: 915057 - Last Review: January 16, 2015 - Revision: 5.0
- Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Standard Edition
|kbnosurvey kbarchive dftsdahomeportal atdownload kbupdate kbfix KB915057|