Description of the Excel 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package: March 8, 2006
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Microsoft has released the Excel 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package for Microsoft Excel 2002. This article describes the following items about the hotfix package:
- The issues that the hotfix package fixes
- The prerequisites for installing the hotfix package
- Whether you must restart the computer after you install the hotfix package
- Whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package
- Whether you must make any registry changes to use one or more of the hotfixes in the package
- The files that the hotfix package contains
This article describes the Excel 2002 issue that is fixed in the Excel 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package that is dated March 8, 2006.
Issues that the hotfix package fixesThis hotfix package fixes the following issue that was not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
- When you try to save a workbook that contains several large pictures in Excel 2002, the workbook is not saved. Additionally, Excel 2002 closes unexpectedly and you receive the following error message: Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.When you view the data in the error report, the report contains an error signature that is similar to the following error signature:
Application name Application version Module name Module version Offset Excel.exe 10.0.6501.0 Excel.exe 10.0.6501.0 003c038a
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, submit a request to Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
- The optimized version and the full-file version of this hotfix is a post-Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) hotfix. To install the hotfix, you must have Office XP SP3 installed.
For more information about Office XP SP3, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:832671 Description of Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 3
- The optimized version of this hotfix requires Microsoft Windows Installer version 2.0 or a later version.
For more information about the Windows Installer requirement, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:330537 Office XP updates and patches released after September 2002 may require Windows Installer 2.0
- The full-file version of this hotfix is also the administrative version of this hotfix.
Restart informationYou do not have to restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix is not replaced by any later hotfix.
Registry informationYou do not have to create or to modify any registry keys to use any hotfixes that this package contains.
Hotfix file informationThis hotfix contains only those files that are required to correct the issues that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
After you install the hotfix, the global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table.
|File name||File size||Date||Time|
Note For more information about how to install this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that is included in the package.
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time|
For more information about the terminology that Microsoft uses when correcting software after it is released, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
excel2002 excel2k2 excelxp xl2002 xl2k2 xlxp
Article ID: 915495 - Last Review: 10/21/2013 18:19:01 - Revision: 1.5
Microsoft Excel 2002 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbautohotfix kbpubtypekc kbgraphic kberrmsg kbbug kbexpertisebeginner kbofficexppostsp3fix kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbfix kbhotfixrollup KB915495