The wizard uses the run-time files that are included with the release version of Access when you create an installation package for an application in Access 2003 or in Access 2002
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Consider the following scenario. You develop an application in Microsoft Office Access 2003 or in Microsoft Access 2002. You create an installation package for the application by using either the Package Wizard that is included with Microsoft Office Access 2003 Developer Extensions or the Packaging Wizard that is included with Microsoft Office XP Developer Edition. In this scenario, the wizard uses the run-time files that are included with the release version of Access, even though you installed Office service packs and other Office software updates. The wizard does not use the updated files.
The installation package is always built from the run-time files that are included with the release version of Access and from the setup files that are found on the Office CD or on the Access CD. You must apply the updates to these files after you install the run-time application. You apply the updates on the client computer directly or through the setup script that is described in the "Workaround" section.
To work around this behavior, use the following method that corresponds to the version of Access that you are using.
Method 1: Microsoft Office Access 2003To make sure that the updated files in Access 2003 are used when you create an installation package, follow these steps:
- Download and save the latest Microsoft Office 2003 service pack. To obtain Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2), visit the following Microsoft Download Center Web site: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=57E27A97-2DB6-4654-9DB6-EC7D5B4DD867&displaylang=enFor more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online servicesMicrosoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
- Copy the file that you downloaded in step 1 to the Files folder of the installation package for the application that you developed. For example, copy the Office2003SP2-KB887616-FullFile-ENU.exe file to the Files folder.
- In Notepad, open the Setup.ini file from the Files\Setup folder of the application.
- Add the following lines of code to the end of the Setup.ini file. Note If you did not download the Office2003SP2-KB887616-FullFile-ENU.exe file in step 1, replace "Office2003SP2-KB887616-FullFile-ENU.exe" in this code with the name of the file that you downloaded in step 1.
[ChainedInstall_1]; Chain the installation for Office2003 SP2 Full-File software updatePath="\Files\Office2003SP2-KB887616-FullFile-ENU.exe"TaskType=EXECmdLine=/q:a
- Save the Setup.ini file.
Method 2: Microsoft Access 2002To make sure that the updated files in Access 2002 are used when you create an installation package, follow these steps:
- Download and save the appropriate software updates to a local folder. For example, download the following software updates that correspond to the version of Access that you are using, and then save them to the C:\Updates folder:
- To obtain Update for Access 2002 (KB904018), visit the following Microsoft Download Center Web site:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7497D7F0-BEF5-4054-B854-B1240B5135F5&displaylang=enNote Download and save the Officexp-KB904018-FullFile-ENU.exe file.
- To obtain Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Access 2002 Runtime, visit the following Microsoft Download Center Web site:
- To obtain Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), visit the following Microsoft Download Center Web site:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=85AF7BFD-6F69-4289-8BD1-EB966BCDFB5E&displaylang=enNote Download and save the OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe file. Office XP SP3 is required if Office XP is installed on the client computer. If Office XP is not installed on the client computer, this service pack is not required.
- To obtain Update for Access 2002 (KB904018), visit the following Microsoft Download Center Web site:
- Start Notepad, and then create a batch file by typing the following lines in a new text document.
OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe /q:aArt2002Sp3-kb834693-client-enu.exe /q:aofficexp-KB904018-FullFile-ENU.exe /q:a
- Save this batch file as the InstallART2002Updates.bat file in the C:\Updates folder.
- Start the Packaging Wizard, and then click Next.
- On the Identify Application and Package page, select the main file for the application.
- In the Package name box, type the package name that you want to use, and then click Next.
- On the Application information page, type the information that is required about the application, select the language that you want the application to use, and then click Next.
- On the Dependencies page, add the updated files to the list of files to install. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Add File, locate the C:\Updates folder, click OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe, and then click OK.
- Repeat step a for the Art2002Sp3-kb834693-client-enu.exe file, for the Officexp-KB904018-FullFile-ENU.exe file, and for the InstallART2002Updates.bat file.
- Click to select the check box that is next to each file that you added to the list of dependencies, and then click Next.
- On the Modify Installation Locations page, click $(WinPath) as the installation location for the InstallART2002Updates.bat file, and then click Next.
- On the Access Runtime page, select the installation options for the Access Runtime that you want to use, and then click Next.
- On the Access Runtime Properties page, select the installation options that you want to use for Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE) and for Replication Manager, and then click Next.
- On the Define Start Menu Shortcuts page, modify the database shortcut properties if changes are required, and then click Next.
- On the Run on Complete page, click to select the Run this command when installation is finished check box, type or select the following command line, and then click Next: $(WinPath)\InstallART2002Updates.bat
- On the Build the Application Package page, click Build the setup program, and then click Finish.
This behavior is by design.
For more information about how to create an installation package by using the Packaging Wizard, visit the following Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Web site:
837150 You may receive error messages when you install an Access 2002 runtime deployment package on a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows Server 2003
826762 A batch file or an executable file in a package does not run at the end of the package installation
197147 Command-line switches for IExpress software update packages
Article ID: 916176 - Last Review: 12/09/2015 04:59:22 - Revision: 1.5
Microsoft Office Access 2003, Microsoft Access 2002 Standard Edition, Microsoft Office Access 2003 Runtime, Microsoft Access 2002 Runtime, Microsoft Office Access 2003 Developer Extensions, Microsoft Office XP Developer Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbdev kbupdate kbtshoot kbprb KB916176