Error message when you try to connect to MSN Messenger or to the Windows Update Web site on a computer that is running Windows XP: "0x800b0001"
You cannot connect to MSN Messenger on a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer. Additionally, you receive the following error message:
You may also receive this error message when you connect to the Windows Update Web site.
This issue may occur if one or more files on the system are not correctly registered.
To resolve this issue, reregister the Softpub.dll file, the Mssip32.dll file, and the Initpki.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 Softpub.dll in the Open box, and then click OK two times.
- Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 Mssip32.dll in the Open box, and then click OK two times.
- Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 Initpki.dll in the Open box, and then click OK two times.
Article ID: 916255 - Last Review: 09/27/2011 22:25:00 - Revision: 2.0
- Microsoft Windows Update
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- MSN Messenger 7.5
- MSN Messenger 7.0
- MSN Messenger 6.0
- MSN Messenger 4.5
- Microsoft Update
- kbwinupdwebsite kbtshoot kberrmsg kbprb KB916255