Error message when you subscribe to an RSS feed that requires authentication "Outlook cannot download the RSS content"
When you subscribe to an RSS feed in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, Microsoft Outlook 2010, or Microsoft Outlook 2013, you may receive one of the following error messages:
Outlook cannot download the RSS content from Web_site_URL because you do not have the required credentials.
Outlook cannot download the RSS content from Web_site_URL because of a problem connecting to the server.
This behavior may occur if the RSS feed requires authentication. Outlook supports authenticated RSS feeds only in the scenarios that are described in the "Workaround" section.
To work around this behavior, use one of the following methods:
- Use an RSS site that is a Microsoft Office SharePoint site and that is internal to your domain. In this scenario, Outlook allows the use of NTLM credentials that are passed to the SharePoint site.
- Add the RSS feed in Microsoft Internet Explorer. Then, let the RSS feed synchronize with Outlook. This scenario requires synchronizing the RSS feeds list between Outlook and Windows.
To configure this option in Outlook 2007, follow these steps:
- On the Tools menu, click Options.
- Click the Other tab, and then click Advanced Options.
- Click to enable Sync RSS feeds to the System Feed List.
Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013
To configure this option in Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013, follow these steps:
- Click on File, then click Options.
- Click Advanced.
- Click to enable Synchronize RSS Feeds to the Common Feed List (CFL) in Windows.
This behavior is by design.
Article ID: 917125 - Last Review: 05/30/2014 06:29:00 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, Microsoft Outlook 2010, Microsoft Outlook 2013
- kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbprb KB917125