An IIS 6.0 application pool may unexpectedly exit when a worker process shuts down or is recycled
- Add the application pool identity user account to the IIS_WPG group. (By default, the NETWORK SERVICE user account is the application pool identity user account.) To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
- Expand Local Users and Groups, and then click Groups.
- Right-click IIS_WPG, and then click Properties.
- In the IIS_WPG Properties dialog box, click Add.
- In the Select Users, Computers or Groups dialog box, click Advanced.
- Click Find Now.
- In the Search results pane, click the application pool identity user account, and then click OK.
- Click OK.
- Make sure that the IIS_WPG group has the necessary permissions to access the ASP.NET Names registry entry. To grant IIS_WPG the necessary permissions, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASP.NET_2.0.50727\Names
- Right-click Names, and then click Permissions.
- Click Add, type IIS_WPG, click Check Names, and then click OK.
- In the Permissions for Names dialog box, click Advanced.
- In the Advanced Security Settings for Names dialog box, click the Permissions tab, click IIS_WPG, and then click Edit.
- In the Permission Entry for Names dialog box, make sure that IIS_WPG is in the Name box.
- Click to select the following check boxes:
- Query Value
- Set Value
- Create Subkey
- Enumerate Subkeys
- Read Control
- In all the dialog boxes, click OK, and then exit Registry Editor.
- Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- In IIS Manager, expand the server, expand Application Pools, right-click the name of the application pool that you want to modify, and then click Properties.
- In the Application_Pool Properties dialog box, click the Identity tab.
- Click Configurable, type the account user name. Or, click Browse to locate the account.
- Type the account password in the Password box, and then click OK.
Article ID: 918041 - Last Review: 10/09/2014 13:53:00 - Revision: 5.0
- kbmdd kbtshoot kbprb KB918041