Description of Windows Server Update Services Service Pack 1
Microsoft has released a service pack for Microsoft Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). This article includes information about how to obtain the service pack and how to obtain a list of issues that the service pack fixes. Additionally, this article includes information about the issues that you may experience when you install the service pack and how to determine whether the service pack is installed.
WSUS with Service Pack 1 (SP1) delivers updates for WSUS. This service pack includes support for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and the forthcoming Microsoft Windows Vista operating system. Additionally, the service pack provides stability and performance improvements. After you install WSUS SP1, you may have to restart the computer.
Note After you apply SP1 to the original release version of WSUS 2.0, the service pack cannot be uninstalled. If you try to uninstall SP1, you will uninstall the whole product.
Service pack details
List of issues that the service pack fixesThe following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles discuss issues that this service pack fixes:
909131 Client computers do not report back to the Windows Software Update Services (WSUS) server
910847 Time-out error when approving multiple updates on Microsoft WSUS Server
List of improvements in the service packWSUS SP1 includes the following improvements:
- Support for Windows Vista: WSUS SP1 lets you update computers that are running Windows Vista.
- Full client language support: WSUS SP1 supports all Microsoft Office and Windows Vista languages.
- New version of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (Windows): WSUS SP1 upgrades SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (Windows) Service Pack 3 (SP3) to SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (Windows) Service Pack 4 (SP4).
- Faster performance: WSUS SP1 improves performance. This includes accelerated user interface response times.
- All hotfixes: WSUS SP1 includes all the changes and hotfixes that have been issued since the release of WSUS.
- Support for Microsoft SQL Server 2005: WSUS SP1 lets you use SQL Server 2005.
Issues that are known to occur during the installation of the service pack
There is insufficient hard disk space available to back up the databaseWhen you upgrade the original release version of WSUS to WSUS SP1, the Setup program automatically creates a backup copy of the WSUS database. If there is insufficient hard disk space available for this backup operation, the Setup program is unable to successfully finish. To determine whether there is sufficient hard disk space to perform this backup operation, follow these steps:
- Start Windows Explorer, and then locate the folder that contains the WSUS database. By default, the WSUS installs the database in the following folder: DriveLetter:\WSUS\MSSQL$WSUS\Data\
- Press and hold CTRL, right-click the following two files, and then click Properties:
- Note the value that appears next to Size on disk. The WSUS SP1 Setup program requires this much available hard disk space to back up the WSUS database files.
You can only upgrade the original release version of WSUS to SP1Currently, WSUS SP1 only upgrades the original release version of WSUS. You cannot use this service pack to upgrade a pre-release version of WSUS.
You must uninstall any pre-release versions of WSUS before you install WSUS SP1.
Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) is stopped during the upgrade processThe WSUS SP1 Setup program stops IIS during the upgrade operation. Therefore, all the Web sites that are hosted by IIS will not be available during the upgrade operation. The Setup program automatically starts IIS when the upgrade operation is finished.
You may have to restart the computer after the upgrade operation is finishedWe recommend that you do not run programs that perform calls to the WSUS APIs during the installation of the service pack. These API calls conflict with the WSUS SP1 installer. In this situation, you must restart the computer to complete the installation of the service pack.
You may have to restore the database if the service pack installation is unsuccessfulIf the upgrade operation to WSUS SP1 is unsuccessful, you can use the backup database that was created at the start of the upgrade process to restore WSUS to its previous state. To do this, follow these steps:
- Determine the location of the backup database by reviewing the contents of the WSUSSetup_%timestamp%.log file. This file is located in the following folder: %programfiles%\Update Services\LogFiles
- Restore the backup database on the WSUS computer.
- Uninstall WSUS, but keep the database files if you are prompted to remove them.
- Install WSUS. Use the existing database when you are prompted to do this.
When you upgrade to WSUS SP1, you may have to disable antivirus programsWhen you upgrade WSUS by applying WSUS SP1, you may have to disable antivirus programs before you can successfully perform the upgrade or apply the service pack. After you disable antivirus programs, restart the Windows Server computer before you apply the upgrade or service pack. This procedure prevents files that the update process has to access from being locked. After the installation is complete, make sure that you reenable your antivirus program. Visit the Web site of your antivirus program vendor for the exact steps about how to disable and reenable your antivirus program and version.
Caution This workaround may make the computer or network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround, but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.
Note An antivirus program is designed to help protect your computer from viruses. You must not download or open files from sources that you do not trust, visit Web sites that you do not trust, or open e-mail attachments when your antivirus program is disabled.
How to obtain and install the service packWSUS SP1 is located at the Microsoft Download Center. The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the KB919004-x86.exe package now.
How to determine whether the service pack is installedThe service pack contains files that have the versions that are listed in the following table. You do not have to install this service pack if you have a later version of the files that are listed in the table.
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time||Platform|
Additional installation notesFor more information about installing WSUS SP1 or WSUS, visit the following Microsoft Web sites:
Article ID: 919004 - Last Review: 06/20/2014 11:21:00 - Revision: 5.0
- kbbug kbfix atdownload kbinfo KB919004