When trying to run the Windows Genuine Advantage validation check located on the Windows Update web site, you receive the following error code: "0x80080299"
When trying to run the Windows Genuine Advantage validation check located on the Windows Update web site, the following error message is displayed
Validation Incomplete: Unable to Perform Validation (Error Code 0x80080299)
You have encountered an unknown error. Please contact your local product support team for further assistance with this issue.
This issue may occur if the ActiveX Controls add-on is not installed or enabled. The ActiveX Controls add-on is required for the WGA validation check.
Confirm that the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool add-on is enabled.
- Start Internet Explorer.
- On the Tools menu, click Manage Add-ons.
- Confirm the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool add-on is displayed and is enabled.
- If disabled, select the appropriate add-on and click Enable, then click OK.
- Go to the Windows Update web site again to ensure that the validation process completes successfully.
If the validation process still fails after the add-on is enabled, or if you do not have the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool add-on installed, go to the Windows Genuine Advantage web site, and run the following validation process.
- Go to the Windows Genuine Advantage web site.
- Perform the validation check by clicking "Validate Now" on the "How to Tell" web site.
- When the validation process is completed, you will receive message stating "Validation Complete". After this is complete, ensure that you can access the WGA resource web site including the Windows Update section.
Article ID: 919868 - Last Review: 01/07/2008 19:34:41 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage
- kbhowto KB919868