Error message when you try to install SQL Server Express or SQL Server Express Edition or SQL Server Express Edition with Advanced Services: "The SQL Server service failed to start"
Bug #: 451014 (SQLBUDT)
When you try to install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition or Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition with Advanced Services, you receive the following error message:
The SQL Server service failed to start. For more information, see the SQL Server Books Online topics, "How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files" and "Starting SQL Server Manually."
When you examine the SQL Server error log, you receive the following error message:
Starting up database 'mssqlsystemresource'.
Error: 15209, Severity: 16, State: 1.
An error occurred during encryption.
For more information about how to view the SQL Server error log, visit the following Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Web site:
This problem may occur when you try to install SQL Server Express Edition or SQL Server Express Edition with Advanced Services on a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer.
This problem occurs because the Network Service account does not have permissions on the following folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data\Microsoft\Protect
To work around this problem, grant the Network Service account the Full Control permission on the Protect folder. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open My Computer.
- Type C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data\Microsoft in the address bar, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click the Protect folder, and then click Properties.
- In the folder Properties dialog box, click the Security tab.
- Under Group or user names, determine whether NETWORK SERVICE is listed. If NETWORK SERVICE is not listed, follow these steps to add this account:
- Click Add to show the Select Users or Groups dialog box.
- Click Locations, select your computer name in the Locations dialog box, and then click OK to return to the Select Users or Groups dialog box.
- Type Network Service in the Enter the object names to select box, and then click Check Names.
- Click OK to close the Select Users or Groups dialog box.
- Click NETWORK SERVICE under Group or user names, and then click to select the Allow check box for Full Control under Permissions for NETWORK SERVICE.
- Click OK to close the folder Properties dialog box.
- Click Retry in the error message dialog box to continue to install SQL Server Express Edition or SQL Server Express Edition with Advanced Services.
For a related issue that might occur when you are installing SQL on FAT partitions, see the following blog post on MSDN:
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 920114 - Last Review: 05/03/2010 19:50:43 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services
- kbsql2005setup kbsql2005express kbexpertiseadvanced kbtshoot kbprb KB920114