Client computers can no longer obtain updates from Windows Server Update Services
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
You experience the following symptoms when you use Microsoft Windows Server Update Services (WSUS):
- You have used Group Policy settings to configure the Automatic Updates feature on client computers. These computers can no longer obtain updates from the server that is running WSUS.
- The %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log file on the client computers contains information that resembles the following:
<date> <time> 904 8d4 AU AU setting next detection timeout to <date> <time><date> <time> 904 8d4 AU # WSUS server: http://<WSUSserver>:8530 <date> <time> 904 8d4 AU # Detection frequency: 4<date> <time> 904 8d4 AU # Approval type: Scheduled (Policy)<date> <time> 904 8d4 AU # Scheduled install day/time: Every day at 5:00<date> <time> 904 8d4 AU # Auto-install minor updates: Yes (Policy)<date> <time> 904 8d4 AU # Launching old AU client<date> <time> 312 13c Misc =========== Logging initialized (build: 220.127.116.119, tz: -0500) ===========<date> <time> 312 13c Misc = Process: \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe<date> <time> 312 13c Misc = Module: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll<date> <time> 312 13c Shutdwn Install at shutdown: no updates to install<date> <time> 312 13c Shutdwn FATAL: WUCheckForUpdatesAtShutdown failed, hr=8024002B
- When you try to start the WSUSAdmin Web application on the computer that is running WSUS, you receive the following error message: The page cannot be found
HTTP Error 404.
You may experience this problem if one of the following programs is installed on the computer after you install WSUS:
- The Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0
- The Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
To resolve this problem, reinstall WSUS.
For more information, click the following link to download the ReadMe for Windows Server Update Services file. Then, view issue 12 on page 14.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9F15B49A-E6D8-4AAA-8FAD-D9E618ABED8A&displaylang=enFor more information about how to obtain WSUS Service Pack 1 (SP1), visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Article ID: 920345 - Last Review: 01/16/2015 01:59:16 - Revision: 2.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbtshoot kbprb KB920345