Office 2003 icons appear fuzzy or have poor contrast after you change the DPI setting in Windows to "Large size (120 DPI)"
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
You change the DPI setting in Microsoft Windows to Large Size (120 DPI). After you restart the computer, you may experience the following symptoms:
- The Microsoft Office 2003 icons appear fuzzy.
- The Office 2003 icons have poor contrast.
This problem was first fixed in a hotfix that is now contained in a service pack. If you installed the latest Office 2003 service pack, you do not have to install the hotfix.
Service pack informationThis problem is corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 3. To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
870924 How to obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003
After you install the service pack, follow the steps that are listed in the "How to enable the hotfix" section of the article to set the
DisableScalingUpForHighDPIregistry key and to activate the hotfix.
Hotfix informationTo resolve this issue, apply this hotfix. After you enable the hotfix, the scaling range of 97 DPI to 120 DPI is disabled for Office icons. The Office icons will be clear. However, they will be visibly smaller when they are compared to menus.
How to obtain the hotfixThis issue is fixed in the Microsoft Office 2003 post-Service Pack 2 Hotfix Package that is dated July 3, 2006. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
922326 Description of the Office 2003 post-Service Pack 2 hotfix package: July 3, 2006
How to enable the hotfixWarning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
To enable this hotfix, follow these steps:
- Exit all Office 2003 programs.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common
- After you click the subkey that is specified in step 3, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type DisableScalingUpForHighDPI, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click DisableScalingUpForHighDPI, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
This problem was first corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 3.
To change the DPI setting in Windows, follow these steps.
Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
- Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.
- Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
- On the General tab, click Large size (120 DPI) in the DPI setting box, and then click OK.
- Click OK to close the Display Properties dialog box.
office2003 office2k3 office11 off2003 off2k3 off11 access2003 access2k3 access11 acc2003 acc2k3 acc11 excel2003 excel2k3 excel11 xl2003 xl2k3 xl11 infopath2003 infopath2k3 infopath11 inf2003 inf2k3 inf11 outlook2003 outlook2k3 outlook11 ol2003 ol2k3 ol11 powerpoint2003 powerpoint2k3 powerpoint11 ppt2003 ppt2k3 ppt11 word2003 word2k3 word11 wd2003 wd2k3 wd11
Article ID: 922328 - Last Review: 12/09/2015 06:20:27 - Revision: 3.0
Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003, Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003, Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003, Microsoft Office Access 2003, Microsoft Office InfoPath 2003, Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbregistry kboffice2003sp3fix kbsettings kbdisplay kbexpertiseinter kboffice2003presp3fix kbqfe kbbug kbfix KB922328