Description of the feature changes and the functionality changes in Windows XP Home Edition KN and in Windows XP Professional KN
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article describes the feature changes and the functionality changes that have been implemented in the English and Korean versions of the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition KN
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional KN
Background informationOn February 24, 2006, the Korean Fair Trade Commission (KFTC) ordered Microsoft to modify certain Microsoft Windows XP operating systems that are available in the Republic of Korea. In response to the KFTC order, Microsoft created new versions of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional for the Republic of Korea. The new versions that contain "KN" in the name do not include Microsoft Windows Media Player or Windows Messenger. These versions are available only to Korean consumers.
Windows XP Home Edition KN and Windows XP Professional KN provide the same functionality as Windows XP. However, these operating systems include the following changes:
- The branding elements have been changed.
- A Windows registry subkey has been added to identify the SKUs as "KN" SKUs for support purposes.
- Windows Media Player and Windows Messenger have been removed.
- The blank out-of-box experience (OOBE) welcome screen has been replaced.
- The Help files have been modified.
- Access to tours of the operating system in Windows XP Home Edition KN and in Windows XP Professional KN has been blocked.
- The link to the Windows Messenger download in Remote Assistance for Help and Support Center has been removed.
Description of the changes
Branding elementsThe operating system name that appears on the General tab of the System Properties dialog box reflects the new product names:
- Windows XP Home Edition has been changed to Windows XP Home Edition KN.
- Windows XP Professional has been changed to Windows XP Professional KN.
- Click Start, point to Control Panel, and then click System.
- Click the General tab.
Registry subkeyThe following registry subkey has been added to Windows XP Home Edition KN and to Windows XP Professional KN:
The Windows Media Player registry entry is configured as follows:
- Value name: Windows Media Player
- Value type: REG_DWORD
- Value data: 0
Note In Windows XP Home Edition and in Windows XP Professional, this registry entry is not present. Or, this registry entry is set to a value of 1.
FeaturesThe following features are modified in Windows XP Home Edition KN and in Windows XP Professional KN.
Windows Media Player and Windows MessengerWindows XP Home Edition KN and Windows XP Professional KN include the same functionality as Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional, except that they do not include Windows Media Player or Windows Messenger. Therefore, end-users have to install a media player from Microsoft or from a third party to do any of the following:
- Play audio CDs or media files
- Organize content in a media library
- Create playlists
- Convert audio CDs to media files
- Create an audio CD
- Create personal videos
- View artist and title information for media files
- View album art for music files
- Transfer music to personal music players
Out-of-box experience welcome screenThe blank out-of-box experience welcome screen has been replaced in Windows XP Home Edition KN and in Windows XP Professional KN. These operating systems have an out-of-box experience welcome screen that notifies the end-user that Windows Media Player and Windows Messenger are not features of Windows XP Home Edition KN and of Windows XP Professional KN.
Help filesThe Help files in Windows XP have been modified to meet regulatory requirements in Windows XP Home Edition KN and Windows XP Professional KN. These modifications include the following:
- The removal of Help topics for Windows Media Player
- The removal of Help topics for Windows Messenger
- Other changes to reflect the removal of these features from the products
Article ID: 922461 - Last Review: 12/09/2015 06:23:19 - Revision: 1.1
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowto kbinfo kbkorean kbhotfixserver KB922461