© 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
This document details Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 Service Pack 1 patch specifications, installation instructions, and provides a link to the list of included hotfixes.
For more information on product life-cycles, please see the product life-cycle page for Visual Studio
Changes to Visual Studio .NET 2003Visual Studio .NET 2003 Service Pack 1 requirements and specificationsInstallation instructionsHow Setup determines which files to installRe-installing the service packUninstalling the Visual Studio .NET 2003 service packKnown issues and workarounds
Changes to Visual Studio .NET 2003
The primary fixes for Visual Studio concern stability and security enhancements made in many areas of the product. A comprehensive list of hotfixes requested by customers since the release of Visual Studio .NET 2003 and included in this Service Pack can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918007
Visual Studio .NET 2003 Service Pack 1 requirements and specifications
English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Russian
Supported operating systems:
- Windows NT 4
- Windows 2000
- Windows XP
- Windows Server 2003
- .NET Framework 1.1
- .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 (recommended Framework level)
In addition to a supported operating system, the Visual Studio .NET 2003 Service Pack 1 installer requires that the .NET Framework be present prior to installing Service Pack 1.
Visual Studio .NET 2003 Service Pack 1 can be obtained through the Microsoft Download Center or on CD. See the appropriate section below for specific installation instructions.
Install this service pack whenever you have updated or changed any of the applications in Visual Studio to ensure that you have the latest fixes. Any open applications should be shut down before installing this service pack.
Installation of the service pack can take a significant amount of time. The presence of multiple Visual Studio .NET 2003 products will further increase install time.
- Download the Visual Studio .NET 2003 Service Pack 1 installation package.
The downloaded package contains all supported Visual Studio languages.
- Double-click on the installer package obtained from the Download Center.
VS7.1sp1-KB918007-X86.exe will detect what language version of Visual Studio .NET 2003 is installed and use that language for the setup process and any language-specific file installation decisions.
Insert the compact disk into your computer’s CD-ROM drive.
- The setup application should automatically begin. The installation package will detect the installed Visual Studio language and use that language for the setup process and for any language-specific file installation decisions.
- If the setup application does not begin automatically, open the CD and double-click on the installer package, VS7.1sp1-KB918007-X86.exe.
How Setup determines which files to install
Setup might not install all the files included in this Service Pack on your computer. If the file on your computer is a more recent version than the one in the Service Pack, Setup will not update the file on your computer.
Setup might not update files, such as text files and non-binary files that have been previously modified. Setup primarily determines which files to replace by checking the version information in a file's resources. However, some files, such as text files and non-binary files, have no resource information. In these cases, Setup uses the date/time stamp to determine which files must be replaced.
If the date/time stamp on any Visual Studio file that does not have version information is more recent than the file that shipped with this Service Pack, Setup might not replace those files. Source files, header files, and XML files are examples of some files that might have a later date.
Re-installing the service pack
Re-installation would be necessary if Visual Studio were removed and re-installed or if Visual Studio features were installed after the initial Service Pack installation. For example, you may have not installed C# originally but subsequently decided the feature was needed.
Uninstalling the Visual Studio .NET 2003 service pack
This Service Pack cannot be uninstalled independent of Visual Studio.
Known issues and workarounds
There are a few known issues with Visual Studio .NET 2003 Service Pack 1 that are outlined below along with suggested workarounds.
- Visual Studio .NET 2003 Service Pack 1 installer doesn't provide progress feedback for a long time.
This is caused by the type of update package and the way Windows Installer inventories the product being updated. Visual Studio has a very large number of files and each entry in the installation database is queried and verified. Unfortunately this process takes a fair bit of time.
- The Visual Studio .NET 2003 Service Pack 1 installer may require access to the original installation source to determine if a file is valid. If this condition occurs
Note If this condition occurs when installation is run silently (for example, installation using SMS or other enterprise software deployment tool), the failure will occur with a 1603 return code. The string, “Error 1706.No valid source could be found for product …” will be placed in the log if MSI logging is enabled.
- and the original product was installed from CD, insert the original product CD and setup will proceed.
- and the original product was installed from a network share, browse to the original network location or enter the original network install location into the dialog and installation will proceed.
- Visual Studio .NET 2003 Service Pack 1 – Smartphone platform selection does not appear on Turkish operating systems.
On a Turkish Win2K Pro machine, when the Smartphone 2003 SDK is installed, the entries for the Smartphone SDK show up as blank in Visual Studio 2003. This is a known issue and is being investigated. A Knowledge Article describing the fix will be made available shortly.
- Java Language Converter Assistant (JLCA) 3.0 Beta not functional after installing Visual Studio .NET 2003 Service Pack 1
Workaround: Uninstalling then re-installing the JLCA will restore functionality.
- New Feature: Browse without building
For a comprehensive list of hotfixes that are included in this service pack, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
List of bugs that are fixed in Visual Studio NET 2003 Service Pack 1
Article ID: 924009 - Last Review: October 19, 2006 - Revision: 2.3
- Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 Enterprise Architect
- Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 Enterprise Developer
- Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 Academic Edition
- Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 2003 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Visual C# .NET 2003 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Visual J# .NET 2003 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic .NET 2003 Standard Edition
|kbreadme kbinfo kbfix kbhowto KB924009|