Error message when you try to share a OneNote 2007 notebook on a Windows SharePoint Services server: "OneNote cannot create a new notebook"
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
After you create a notebook in Microsoft Office OneNote 2007, you receive the following error message when you try to share the new notebook on a Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services server:
OneNote cannot create a new notebook at:
Possible reasons include:
- The specified location is not available.
- You do not have permissions to modify the specified location.
- The path or notebook name contains invalid characters.
- The combined path and notebook name exceeds the maximum path length.
Adjust the path and notebook name, and then try again.
This problem may occur because of any of the following causes.
The following conditions are true:
- You do not specify a document library folder in the URL path of the Windows SharePoint Services server.
- The URL points to the root folder of the Windows SharePoint Services server share.
In OneNote 2007, you cannot create a shared notebook in the root folder of a Windows SharePoint Services server share. See workaround 1
The length of the URL path of the notebook exceeds the 150 character limit in OneNote.
Note The URL path of the notebook consists of a URL, such as \\fileservername\filesharename, and the file name of the notebook, such as MyNoteBook.one.
See workaround 2
A Windows SharePoint Services server is used as both a file share server and as a server that is running WebDav. See workaround 3
To work around this problem, use the appropriate workaround.
Specify a document library folder in the path of the Windows SharePoint Services server when you create a new shared notebook in OneNote 2007.
To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Share menu, click Create Shared Notebook.
- Type a name for the shared notebook, and then select the notebook template that you want to use.
- Click Next.
- Click Multiple people will share the notebook, and then click On a server.
- Click Next.
- Type the path of the Windows SharePoint Services server, and then click Browse.
- Select the document library that you want to use, and then click Select.
- Click Create.
Change the URL for the notebook file so that it contains fewer than 150 characters.
Follow these steps:
- In Windows Explorer, locate the share folder in which you want to store the notebook. For example, locate \\fileservername\filesharename.
- In this folder, create a subfolder that has the same name that you want to give to the notebook. For example, create a new folder that is named MyNotebook.
- Do one of the following:
The folder opens as a blank notebook in OneNote. Click the message in the middle of the screen to create the first section of your new notebook.
- Right-click the subfolder that you created in step 2. Then, click Open as Notebook in OneNote.
- Start OneNote.
- On the File menu, point to Open, and then click Notebook.
- Select the folder that you created in step 2. Then, click Open.
on2007 on12 on2k7 onenote2007 onenote12 onenote2k7 12 2k7
Article ID: 924137 - Last Review: 12/09/2015 06:49:38 - Revision: 3.0
Microsoft Office OneNote 2007
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbtshoot kbnewfile kbexpertisebeginner kbprb KB924137