Windows Desktop Search 2.6.6 is available
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article discusses the availability of Windows Desktop Search (WDS) version 2.6.6. Additionally, this article describes the minimum system requirements to install Windows Desktop Search 2.6.6.
Windows Desktop Search 2.6.6 was released on November 28, 2006. This release includes improvements in stability and in performance to help enhance the search functionality. Windows Desktop Search 2.6.6 includes the following improvements:
- An update to exclude or to remove applicable content after you apply the Prevent Indexing of Uncached Exchange Folders Group Policy.
- An update to let the index location be changed to a Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path.
- An update to fix the preview of .xml files.
- An update to make sure that the index is updated successfully when you add, move, or remove e-mail messages that are related to third-party protocol handlers
- An update to Group Policy to let you hide the Web search button.
- An update to Group Policy to allow for bandwidth throttling of the Indexer.
- Performance improvements for the initial indexing operation.
- Product updates that are based on Windows error reports that we have received from customers.
Note You can install Windows Desktop Search 2.6.6 as a new installation, or you can upgrade to Windows Desktop Search 2.6.6 from an earlier version of Windows Desktop Search 02.06.xxxx. If you upgrade to Windows Desktop Search 02.06.6000 from build 02.06.5000.5401, you do not have to rebuild the Windows Desktop Search index.
Download informationThe following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the KB926356 package now.
Release Date: November 28, 2006
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online servicesMicrosoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
PrerequisitesThe following are the minimum system requirements for installing Windows Desktop Search 2.6.6:
- The computer must be running one of the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4)
- The computer must have 128 megabytes (MB) of random access memory (RAM). We recommend 256 MB or more of RAM.
- The computer must have a Pentium 500-megahertz (MHz) processor or a faster processor. We recommend a 1-gigahertz (GHz) processor or a faster processor.
- The computer must have 500 MB of free hard disk space.
- The computer must have a screen resolution of 1024 x 768.
- To index and to search e-mail messages, the computer must have one of the following programs installed:
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 or a later version of Outlook
- Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0 or a later version of Outlook Express
Update informationWindows Desktop Search 2.6.6 includes the following changes and updates:
- Formerly indexed content is removed when you enable the Prevent Indexing of Uncached Exchange Folders Group Policy.
- You can specify a UNC path as the destination of the index when you use the Specify Location of Windows Desktop Search Index Group Policy.
- The preview of .xml file types is fixed.
- An update is included to update the index successfully when you add, move, or delete e-mail messages that are handled by third-party protocol handlers.
- A new Group Policy object is added to hide the Web search button.
- A new Group Policy object is added to let you manage the bandwidth throttling of the Indexer.
- The overall performance of the indexing process is improved.
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
WDS, Windows Desktop Search, 2.6.6
Article ID: 926356 - Last Review: 12/09/2015 07:35:25 - Revision: 3.0
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Desktop Search
- kbnosurvey kbarchive atdownload kbbug kbfix KB926356