Error message when you try to install a 2007 Office update package: "The installation of this package failed"
By default, the Microsoft Self-Extractor program extracts the installation files for the update package to the %temp% folder. The program then runs the update package's Setup program from this folder.
If the %temp% folder has been encrypted, and if you signed on to the computer by using a standard user account, the update package's Setup program cannot run. Encryption may have been enabled on this folder by the user or by certain tools such as the Microsoft Encrypting File System Assistant (EFS Assistant).
Note These steps use the My Documents folder on the computer. If the My Documents folder is also encrypted, use a different folder in these steps.
- Download the 2007 Office update package to the My Documents folder on the computer.
- Open the My Documents folder, and then note the Microsoft Self-Extractor file name.
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
- Type cd "%userprofile%\My Documents" and then press ENTER.
- Type Self-Extractor_filename.exe /extract:"%userprofile%\My Documents" and then press ENTER.
This process extracts one or more .msp installation files for the 2007 Office update package.
- Close the Command Line window.
- In the My Documents folder, double-click each .msp file that you extracted in step 5.
Note If an .msp file is for a component that is not part of the 2007 Office suite that you installed, you receive the following warning message:The update package cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be updated may be missing, or the update package may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be updated exists on your computer and that you have the correct update package.
Article ID: 926946 - Last Review: 10/15/2007 22:02:12 - Revision: 1.9
- kberrmsg kbupdateissue kbsetup kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbprb KB926946