No results are returned when you search for e-mail items after you enable Instant Search in Outlook
To support Exchange System Manager, the installation program for the Exchange System Management Tools copies MAPI DLL files to the %WINDIR%\system32 folder. This is the same location in which the SearchProtocolHost.exe search provider file is located. In this situation, when MAPI tries to load provider DLL files, MAPI uses the Microsoft Exchange-related DLL files. The Exchange-related DLL files do not have all the features that are required to index e-mail messages. Therefore, Windows Desktop Search no longer searches e-mail messages.
Note If you reinstall the Exchange System Management Tools after Outlook has been installed, you must rerun the Fixmapi.exe tool. To run the Fixmapi.exe tool, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\system32\fixmapi.exe, and then click OK.
- Restart the computer.
- Rebuild the computer's index catalog. To do this, follow these steps:
- In Control Panel, double-click Indexing Options.
- In the Indexing Options dialog box, click Advanced.
- Click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild.
- Click OK when you are prompted to rebuild the indexed locations on the computer.
- Click Close to close the Indexing Options dialog box.
Article ID: 927676 - Last Review: 04/15/2012 19:34:00 - Revision: 3.0
- kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbprb KB927676