ProClarity Dashboard Server and SQL Server Reporting Services do not interpret an ampersand character (&) the same way. This difference prevents you from using the Value
property to pass the URL parameter.
To identify an individual member, ProClarity Dashboard Server adds the "&" character to a Multidimensional Expressions (MDX) tuple. For example, the following MDX tuple expression identifies the member for a specific calendar month:
However, SQL Server Reporting Services interprets the "&" character as a method to separate parameters that are sent in a URL. Therefore, SQL Server Reporting Services parses the URL and interprets the "&" character as a parameter separator instead of a member identifier.
To use the Value
property to pass a URL parameter from a ProClarity dashboard to a SQL Server Reporting Services report, create a ProClarity Analytics Server (PAS)-based briefing book that references the member key as a measure. Then, use this book page to build a PAS results parameter in the dashboard. When you use this method, the member key is passed into the Web URL as a parameter to feed into the SQL Server Reporting Services report.
The following procedure illustrates how to create a new measure that references the member key property of the current member of the Time
If you add this new measure to a view, you provide a reference for a PAS results parameter. You can use this reference in the dashboard.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the ProClarity Desktop Professional client or the ProClarity Web Professional client.
- On the Hierarchies tab in the Setup Panel, double-clickMeasures.
- On the Select Items tab, right-click a measure, and then click New Measure.
- On the New Measure Wizard – Step 1 of 2 page, click Custom formula, and then click Next.
- On the New Measure Wizard – Step 2 of 2 page, type the value for the new measure in the Formula text field. Use the Time dimension. For example, type Time.Day.CurrentMember.Properties("Key").
- Complete the remaining steps in the wizard.
This procedure returns the key for the Time
dimension at the Day
level. You must modify this hierarchy structure to fit your specific dimension. Notice the reference to the CurrentMember
function. The CurrentMember
function uses the Key
To test the returned result, follow these steps in the ProClarity client.
- Set the Measures dimension on columns, and then set the Time dimension on rows.
- Select the new measure that you created.
The returned results represent the member key for the dates that are displayed. Save this page to a briefing book, and then publish the book to PAS for future reference. A list of the keys appears on columns in the briefing book.
After you publish the book, open Dashboard Studio to create a new parameter. This parameter will be of type PAS page result
and will reference the newly created briefing book page. Save this parameter. In this example, assume that you save the parameter as "time." On the view that you use to reference the Reporting Services report, pass "&[[time.timekey]]" into the Web URL. For example, specify the following dashboard URL:
The member key is passed into the Web URL as a parameter to feed into the Reporting Services report.Notes
- ServerName represents the name of the Reporting Services server.
- InstanceName represents the name of the instance.
- SampleFolder represents the folder name in this example.
- ReportName represents the name of the report.
- Time is the parameter name in the dashboard.