A race condition occurs when you try to add more time or the subscription is not confirmed in Windows XP Home Edition for Prepaid Computers or in Windows XP Home Edition for Subscription Computers
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
In Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition for Prepaid Computers or in Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition for Subscription Computers, you experience the following problems:
- A race condition occurs when you try to add more time to the computer. Also, the server does not allocate more time to the client, even though the server processes the prepaid token from the client.
- The subscription is not automatically confirmed.
The race condition occurs if the provisioning server does not correctly process the request to release the prepaid token. The client computer does not keep the last token that was used. If no provisioning packets or time packets are received during the first submission attempt, the client computer resubmits the request.
The subscription problem occurs because of the timing of the automatic poll. If the computer is offline during the scheduled poll, the poll does not occur.
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
PrerequisitesNo prerequisites are required.
Restart requirementYou must restart the computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix does not replace any other hotfix.
File informationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time||Platform|
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Additional issues that this update addresses include the following:
- Users who added time received incorrect error messages when the latency of Internet connections caused problems. These error messages have been removed.
- Error messages that relate to the Add Time feature have been made accurate.
- Incorrect error messages that ask the user to reinstall the operating system have been removed.
- You can now download up to 50 prepaid packets and time packets. These packets include configuration packets and bootstrap packets. Previously, you could download only up to 5 packets.
- Restoring the computer no longer requires a re-registration action from the solution provider or from the billing agent for activation to succeed. Windows activation remains unchanged.
- The Standby Notification dialog box now appears on the Windows logon screen when two or more users are logged on.
- The long wait time to display the completed Add Computer Use Time Wizard on a slow Internet connection is fixed.
- An incorrect page no longer appears on a prepaid client computer after a pending transaction is completed in Limited Access mode.
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 928470 - Last Review: 01/16/2015 09:32:21 - Revision: 4.0
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition for Subscription Computers, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition for Prepaid Computers
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbautohotfix kbexpertiseinter kbwinxppresp3fix kbfix kbbug kbhotfixserver kbqfe KB928470