Microsoft has released an update to Learning Essentials 1.5 for Microsoft Office. This update fixes an issue in which there is a security vulnerability. An attacker could exploit the vulnerability by constructing a specially crafted malformed .Rtf file for Learning Essentials that could potentially enable code execution. An attacker who can successfully exploit this vulnerability could take complete control of an affected computer. There is no visible error or visual defect when this occurs.
This article describes how to download and install the Microsoft Learning Essentials Update: KB929437.
Download and install the update
If you installed Learning Essentials from a CD-ROM, you have the following two options:
- Use the Microsoft Office Product Updates Web site to automatically install all the latest updates that include all available service packs and public updates.
- Install only the Learning Essentials Update: KB929437. To do this, follow the steps that are described later in this article.
We recommend that you install the client update by using the Office Product Updates Web site. The Office Product Updates Web site detects your particular installation of Learning Essentials and prompts you to install exactly what you must have to make sure that your installation is completely up-to-date.Office Product Updates Web site
To have the Office Product Updates Web site detect the required updates that you must install on the computer, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
After detection is complete, you receive a list of recommended updates for your approval. Click Start Installation
to complete the process. Install only the Learning Essentials Update: KB929437
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center: Download the Learning Essentials Update: KB929437 package now.
Release Date: February 12, 2007
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
To download and install the client update, follow these steps:
- Click Save to save the LE-KB929437-V1.5-x86Signed-ENU-ZIP.exe file to the selected folder.
- Click Open Folder.
- Double-click the LE-KB929437-V1.5-x86Signed-ENU-ZIP.exe file.
- When you receive the following message, click Run:
Do you want to run this file?
- Click Yes to accept the License Agreement.
- If you are prompted to, insert the Learning Essentials installation CD-ROM in your computer's CD drive or DVD drive, and then click OK.
- When you receive a message that states that the installation was successful, click OK.
After you install the update, you cannot remove it. To revert to an installation before the update was installed, you must remove Learning Essentials. Then install it again from the original CD-ROM.
How to determine whether the update is installed
The English version of this update has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.The update contains updated versions of the following files:
Date Time Version Size File name----------------------------------------------------------- 16-Nov-2006 17:05 433,152 Riched20.dll
To determine whether the update is installed on the computer, follow these steps. Note
Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
- Click Start, and then click Search.
- Under Search Companion, click All files and folders.
- In the All or part of the file name box, type richedit.dll, and then click Search.
- In the right pane, right-click the richedit.dll file that is listed in the search results, and then click Properties.
- Click the Version tab, and then verify the version of the Richedit.dll file that is installed on the computer.
If the Learning Essentials Update: KB929437 is already installed on the computer, you receive the following error message when you try to install the Learning Essentials Update: KB929437:
This update has already been applied or is included in an update that has already been applied.