Error message when you try to upgrade Office XP Students and Teachers edition to a 2007 Office suite: "The path you have chosen does not point at a qualifying upgradeable product"
When you try to upgrade Microsoft Office XP Students and Teachers edition to an upgrade version of a 2007 Microsoft Office suite, you receive the following message:
The path you have chosen does not point at a qualifying upgradeable product. Click 'Retry' to try again or 'Cancel' to quit setup.
This behavior occurs because Office XP Students and Teachers edition is not a qualifying product for the upgrade version of a 2007 Office product. When you install the upgrade version of the 2007 Office product, the search for qualifying products fails if the following conditions are true:
- Office XP Students and Teachers edition is the only Microsoft Office product that is installed on the computer.
- No qualifying Microsoft Works products are installed on the computer.
The enclosed program will search your hard disk to confirm your eligibility for this upgrade. The software will install only if you are a licensed user of one of the following products:
- Microsoft® Works 6.0 – 10
- Microsoft Works Suite 2000 – 2006 or later
- Any 2000 – 2007 Office program or suite
- Any Microsoft Office XP Suite
To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
- Run the 2007 Office Setup program.
- In the Enter your product key dialog box, type the product key in the Product Key box, and then click Continue.
- In the Locate your earlier Office dialog box, click Browse.
- If your version of Office is installed on a disk or on a network server, select that version in the Browse dialog box, and then click OK.
If your version of Office is on a CD or a DVD, insert the CD or the DVD in the CD or DVD drive, select Microsoft Office in the Browse dialog box, and then click OK.
- In the Locate your earlier Office dialog box, click Continue.
- When the 2007 Microsoft Software License Terms appear, remove the CD for the earlier version of Office from the CD drive or from the DVD drive, and then insert the 2007 Office CD.
- Click to select the I accept the terms of the License Agreement check box, and then click Continue.
- Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to install the 2007 Office system.
off12 off2007 office12 office2007
Article ID: 933567 - Last Review: 09/12/2011 05:08:00 - Revision: 3.0
Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007, Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007, Microsoft Office Professional 2007, Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007, Microsoft Office Standard 2007, Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007, Microsoft Office Basic 2007
- kbupgrade kbsetup kbinstallation kberrmsg kbdocerr kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbprb KB933567