You cannot turn on an optional feature, install a Windows update, install a hotfix, or install a language pack on a Windows Vista-based computer
- You cannot turn on an optional feature, install a Windows update, install a hotfix, or install a language pack.
- If you click to select the Turn Windows Features on or off check box in the Programs and Features item in Control Panel, the Software Explorer list is empty.
- The Windows Vista Language Pack Setup tool (LPKSetup.exe) indicates that no additional language packs can be installed until you restart the computer.
- When you run the Windows Optional Component Setup tool (OCSetup.exe), you receive the following error code: 65535 (Unexpected)
- The System File Checker tool reports that there is a repair pending. This tool also reports that a restart is required.
- The computer does not start.
- Restart the computer. Typically, when the computer restarts, Windows Vista tries to detect the problem. Then, Windows Vista tries to complete the installation of the component. Or, Windows Vista tries to roll back to the system state that existed before the component was installed. If this step is successful, go to step 4. If this step is not successful, go to step 2.
- Use the Startup Repair tool.For more information about how to use the Startup Repair tool, see the "Startup Repair: frequently asked questions" Help topic in Windows Vista. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Use the System Repair tool to restore the computer to an earlier, valid restore point. For more information about how to use the System Restore tool in Windows Vista, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:936212 How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista
- Start Windows Update, and then install one update. By doing this, you confirm that Windows Update is working as expected. You also clear any temporary Setup files from previous installations. Temporary Setup files may have caused this issue to occur. To start Windows Update and install one update, follow these steps:
- Click Start , point to All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
- Click to clear the check boxes for all the updates except one. Leave one check box selected.
- Click Install Updates.
- When the update is installed, restart the computer.
Methods that you can use to verify that the problem is resolvedAfter Windows Vista consistently restarts without any errors, you can use one of the following methods to verify that the problem is resolved.
Method 1: Try to turn on optional featureTo turn on optional feature in Windows Vista, follow these steps:
- Click Start , type programs and features in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
- Click Turn Windows features on or off.
- If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
- Click to select the check box next to the feature, and then click OK.
Method 2: Try to install an update or a hotfixTo install a Windows update or a hotfix, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Method 3: Try to install a Windows Vista language packTo install a Windows Vista language pack, follow these steps:
- Click Start , type Regional and Language Options in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
- Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.
- Under Display Language, click Install/uninstall languages, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
- If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
Article ID: 934538 - Last Review: 10/31/2007 05:44:00 - Revision: 1.4
- kbtshoot kberrmsg kbuninstall kbsetup kbinstallation kbexpertiseadvanced kbexpertiseinter kbprb KB934538