Error message on a Windows Vista-based or Windows Server 2008-based computer that does not have a parallel port: "The Parallel port driver service failed to start"
Event ID: 7000
Task Category: None
The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
For example, this problem might occur in the following scenario:
- You configure a Windows Vista-based computer for use with a docking station.
- The docking station has an attached printer that requires using the parallel port (Parport) service.
- You disconnect the computer from the docking station, and then you restart the computer.
Note When this event is logged in the System log, it does not indicate that there is any serious problem with the comptuer.
Note The Parport service is not listed in Computer Management and is inaccessible.
These errors can be safely ignored if you have removed the parallel port connector or if you are using a printer that is connected to the parallel port connector of a docking station.
Alternatively, if you do not require the parallel port, you can disable the Parport service in the registry to stop the error messages from being logged. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit.exe in the Programs list.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Parport
- Right-click the Start entry, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 4, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
|2||Automatic. This is the default setting.|
Article ID: 935497 - Last Review: 04/02/2008 00:01:48 - Revision: 3.0
- kbtshoot kbprb kbexpertisebeginner KB935497