Icons are missing from Control Panel, or you cannot start Control Panel, the Welcome Center, or games in Windows Vista
Support for Windows Vista without any service packs installed ended on April 13, 2010. To continue receiving security updates for Windows, make sure you're running Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 (SP2). For more information, refer to this Microsoft web page: Support is ending for some versions of Windows
- Icons are missing from Control Panel.
- You cannot start Control Panel. When you try to start Control Panel, the screen may flash briefly, but Control Panel does not start.
- You cannot start the Welcome Center. For example, when you type welcome center in the Start Search box, and then you click Welcome Center in the Programs list, nothing happens.
- You cannot start Windows Vista games such as Chess or Minesweeper. When you try to start the games, nothing happens.
Service pack informationTo resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows Vista. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Hotfix informationTo resolve these problems, install the hotfix that is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
Article ID: 936686 - Last Review: 05/19/2008 23:35:44 - Revision: 2.2
- kbvistasp1fix kbtshoot kbbug kbexpertisebeginner KB936686