Event ID 1036 is logged on an Exchange 2007 server that is running the CAS role when mobile devices connect to the Exchange 2007 server to access mailboxes on an Exchange 2003 back-end server
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MSExchange ActiveSync
Event Category: Configuration
Event ID: 1036
The proxy request has failed to authenticate on <Exchange Server 2003>. Please ensure that Integrated authentication is turned on.
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
PrerequisitesMicrosoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) must be installed before you apply this hotfix. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Restart requirementYou do not have to restart the computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix does not replace a previously released hotfix.
File informationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time|
Steps to enable Integrated Windows Authentication after you install hotfix 937031 on the Exchange 2003 back-end serverTo work around this problem, turn on Integrated Windows Authentication. To do this, follow these steps:
- Start Exchange System Manager.
- Expand Administrative Groups, expand Administrative_Group_Name, and then expand Servers.
- Expand Your_Server_Name, expand Protocols, and then expand HTTP.
- Expand Exchange Virtual Server, right-click Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync, and then click Properties.
- Click the Access tab, and then click Authentication.
- Click to select the Integrated Windows Authentication check box.
- Click OK two times. To verify that this successfully replicated to the metabase on the Exchange server, follow these steps:
- Open the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager under Administrative Tools.
- Expand the Computer, expand Web Sites, and then expand Default Web Site.
- Right-click Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync, and then click Properties.
- Click the Directory Security tab, and then select the Edit button under Authentication and access control.
- Verify that the Integrated Windows Authentication check box is selected.
Note If this check box is selected, you have successfully replicated the change that was made in the Exchange System Manager to the metabase on the Exchange server.
- Click Cancel two times, and then exit Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager. You can now test synching with your mobile device.
Article ID: 937031 - Last Review: 03/25/2008 20:41:25 - Revision: 4.2
- kbautohotfix kbexpertiseinter kbhotfixserver kbqfe KB937031