The Mail icon is missing from Control Panel after you upgrade to Office 2003 by using a custom transform (.mst) file that contains an Office Profile Settings (.ops) file
After you upgrade to Microsoft Office 2003 by using a custom transform (.mst) file that contains an Office Profile Settings (.ops) file, the Mail icon is missing from Control Panel.
This issue may occur if the registry entry that points to the Mlcfg32.cpl Control Panel file is missing or damaged.
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Make sure that the following Control Panel file exists and that it works as expected: Drive:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\MSMAPI\1033\mlcfg32.cpl
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate the following registry subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\MMCPL
- Make sure that the mlcfg32.cpl registry entry exists. Additionally, make sure that its value is set as follows: Drive:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\MSMAPI\1033\mlcfg32.cplIf the mlcfg32.cpl registry entry does not exist, you must create it. To do this, follow these steps:
- Right-click the MMCPLregistry subkey, point to New, and then click String Value.
- Type mlcfg32.cpl as the name of the registry entry.
- Double-click the mlcfg32.cplregistry entry, type Drive:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\MSMAPI\1033\mlcfg32.cpl in the Value Data box, and then click OK.
- Right-click the
- Exit Registry Editor, and then open Control Panel. The Mail icon is displayed as expected.
Article ID: 937763 - Last Review: 06/07/2007 16:13:51 - Revision: 1.2
Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- kbprb kbtshoot kbexpertisebeginner KB937763